pH tester instrument, or test kit?

Well, I can get a $5 test kit that will test each of the N-P-K nutes twice, plus the pH 4 times.  Or, I can drop ~$25 for a battery operated double-probed instrument that tests both pH and nute levels.  Which would you choose?  Why?  Thanks.

I'd just pick up a box of paper if I where you, but it's not varied enough for nutes. Go for the test kit though, you can use it next year also. It saves $ in the long run.

Well, I chose the battery operated - from Lowes I think. I have used it every year and it is nice to have something on hand at any time. My only complaint is that it isn't very specific. It reads PH fine, but as far as nutes it only tells me if the 'fertility' is low, high, or ideal. 

Mallory said:
 but as far as nutes it only tells me if the 'fertility' is low, high, or ideal. 
And peppers have different requirements than the generalization that is infered with low, high or ideal. Low may be low for tomatoes but ideal or even high for peppers.

As the cheapest electronic nute analyzer ive seen is north of $500 it sure makes the $10 paper kit seem much more reasonable don't it.

bluelab truncheon nutrient meters are great. accurate, very durable i use mine as a stir stick among other things that should break it. the one i'm on now is over 3 years old. these have been on the market for well over a decade and stood the test of time.
the simplest most durable meter i have encountered. it measures in ec, ppm ecx500, ppm ecx700 and cf. takes aa batteries.they are about a hundred bucks online though a local hydro shop should'nt charge more than $80. spending this kinda money really depends on how often u need to test nutes as in if ur making nutes multiple times a week i would spend the money well worth it.once a week or less prolly not. personally i like to have more control with nutes so i spend the money.

almost forgot they never need calibrating either, not out of the box not ever.
and no i'm not affiliated, just amazed when i find a product this simple works great and last a long time.

ok i just looked at mine and it says its guaranteed for five years on the side of it.

on the topic of dipstick ph meters, on the other hand, rarely last more than a year and need frequent calibrating. ive had at least 20 of them in three or four different brands in the last decade. (yet i still buy a new pos when they break) one should always keep the paper or drops kit. for when the digi takes a crap.

my two cents

Those truncheons are epic, the company owners still have the original model, over 10 years old and it still comes out on point.

I am very leary of most pH soil spike probes and homescale nutrient tests. They make pH pens look accurate :P

I would avoid Rapitest like they were peddling the plague. Not to sound like a dick (too late), but it's like HP22 said, low, ideal, high? What kind of system of measurement is that.

Roguejim said:
Well, I can get a $5 test kit that will test each of the N-P-K nutes twice, plus the pH 4 times.  Or, I can drop ~$25 for a battery operated double-probed instrument that tests both pH and nute levels.  Which would you choose?  Why?  Thanks.
Neither as I grow with the soil food web and pH is irrelevant. :lol:

Is this a must have for growing chili? is a Bluelab truncheon nutrien meter all i need. To TS, some link to the 5$ testkit and 25$ instrument?

pwb said:
Is this a must have for growing chili? is a Bluelab truncheon nutrien meter all i need. To TS, some link to the 5$ testkit and 25$ instrument?
I would say by no means is it a must have for peppers (for a cash crop i would say yes). i think it depends on how deep your pockets are and level of passion for the chilli hobby.

the truncheon measures nute levels only not Ph

Well, after seeing PMD's comments, and consulting Nigel, I won't bother with these measurements. My raised beds and containers are heavily composted, with no chem ferilizers. Thick layer of mulch on the raised beds, too.

Roguejim said:
Well, after seeing PMD's comments, and consulting Nigel, I won't bother with these measurements. My raised beds and containers are heavily composted, with no chem ferilizers. Thick layer of mulch on the raised beds, too.
Good to hear. There is so much misinformation out there so that everyone thinks they have to know the pH and the ppm and NPK numbers. Too many people listen to what the misinformed guy at the hydro shop recommends.

Does anyone have experience with the cheap litmus paper you can buy on Fleabay?

(My home-brew soil is working fine for adult plants, but causes young seedlings to yellow out just as they are growing their first leaves. Transplanting them to ocean forest reversed the yellowing and got them growing well, so I'm wondering if the PH of my mix is a bit wacky.)

Geonerd said:
Does anyone have experience with the cheap litmus paper you can buy on Fleabay?

(My home-brew soil is working fine for adult plants, but causes young seedlings to yellow out just as they are growing their first leaves. Transplanting them to ocean forest reversed the yellowing and got them growing well, so I'm wondering if the PH of my mix is a bit wacky.)
I have used litmus paper. I use it as a double check. Works every time.

Back