• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ph testing strips, lame?

I started making a 2 gallon batch of my hot sauce, I used to do a 1 gallon but someone gets a gallon to their own. Since upping the recipe I noticed the ph strips I use haven't been reading the same. I have been making this recipe for 4 years and have never had this problem. In the past the strips appeared to read just below 4, now it barley reaches 4 but thats after altering the recipe. I personally do not like the taste of vinegar, I use apple cider vinegar for the flavor, but I only use enough for some added flavor and the ph level. This time I ended up using a couple fresh limes to lower the ph that way it isn't to vinegary. Even with this it doesn't seem to do much to the sauce's ph. I let simmer an additional ten minutes before testing again. Am I supposed to do it cold (not that I have in the past), should it simmer longer, or are these paper test strips that lame?

I have read that the paper stripes are not that accurate. I personally have never used them. Today i went ahead and ordered a ph meter with solution and everything i need for more accurate reliable readings. I just wanted to be on the safe side and did not want to use more than i had to to get my ph lower. I ordered mine from leeneres. good luck

It isn't necessarily always true that because a recipe is increased or decreased that all of the ingredients will be adjusted the same way. Also keep in mind that you're dealing with an agricultural product and that is rarely duplicated exactly. And one other thing that you may be doing already is to use ph strips intended for food use. Some places call them sushi strips. Either way, ask for food safe strips and they can usually be found at a restaurant supply store.

The ph strips are supposed to used on a product at room temperature; which is what I do. Try both just for the heck of it; but I always go by the room temp reading. And the strips are fine; just shoot for less than 4. Cheers.

The pH strips I use(Leeners)are intended for measuring wine pH...so I measure with them at room temp.
But I have also taken measurements when the sauce is still pretty warm, and have had very similar readings.

Personally, I have found the test strips to be very reliable for the intended use ....which for is me, is being confident that the sauce is 4.0 or less. Plus they are very affordable.
But the reliability of the test strip is directly related to one's ability to see colors and different shades of color accurately.

Back