• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Pheno" and "Aji"

So, I'm just curious. I've noticed a couple of things over the last ten years or so and I wanted to ask my fellow chileheads about them.

Have we just accepted the use of the words "pheno" and "Phenotype" incorrectly as a replacement for just the shape of the fruit set? The words mean more than just that, but has it just become okay? Phenotype means ANY physical characteristic, not just fruit set. I mean, whatever, people do what they do, but yes, I am "that guy" and I just want to know. 

Similar question for the use of the word "aji". Is that now the accepted term for Baccatums? The word itself just translates to another word for "chile" or what we mean when we say "pepper". It's a word from the Taino language of the Caribbean. I see the phrase "aji types" and I assume that means Baccatum, but it just looks silly to me in the same way "chile pepper" is silly. 

I understand language and phrases change and become accepted. It's how language evolves. 

Just wondering what some of you think, especially the members and growers that have been in this thing for a long time. 

I see phenotype used to discuss a large variety of traits, so no, I don't think it is incorrectly being used only as a replacement for the shape of a pod.  I'd say it's more commonly being used correctly in discussion of pod shapes in hybrids without any misconception that it can refer only to pod shape.  I'd also say it's probably used more - or at least as often - in discussions of pod color or anthocyanin content versus pod shape.

As for "ajis," because many peppers with "aji" in their names are baccatum varieties, it often leads to confusion that "aji" means baccatum, especially with people new to those peppers.  But, of course, you have the chinense "aji's" like aji charapita, limo, or panca and even some frutescens like aji guyana.  Still, if someone says "aji types" to me I'm thinking immediately of the baccatum types like aji limon, amarillo, cito, and giallo and I probably wouldn't be thinking of other baccatum such as a bishop's crown or brazilian starfish.

I think once you talk about peppers enough with others who talk about them a lot you fall into shorthand and slang for some things that simply makes it faster and easier to get your point across - kind of like what happens at the workplace.  Newer people won't always understand or may misunderstand, but it allows for shorter posts and the more rapid transfer of ideas.  Technical writing when you're striving for 100% accuracy and limited potential for misinterpretation can take a lot of time and effort, especially on subjects like genetics.

CaneDog said:
I see phenotype used to discuss a large variety of traits, so no, I don't think it is incorrectly being used only as a replacement for the shape of a pod.  I'd say it's more commonly being used correctly in discussion of pod shapes in hybrids without any misconception that it can refer only to pod shape.  I'd also say it's probably used more - or at least as often - in discussions of pod color or anthocyanin content versus pod shape.

As for "ajis," because many peppers with "aji" in their names are baccatum varieties, it often leads to confusion that "aji" means baccatum, especially with people new to those peppers.  But, of course, you have the chinense "aji's" like aji charapita, limo, or panca and even some frutescens like aji guyana.  Still, if someone says "aji types" to me I'm thinking immediately of the baccatum types like aji limon, amarillo, cito, and giallo and I probably wouldn't be thinking of other baccatum such as a bishop's crown or brazilian starfish.

I think once you talk about peppers enough with others who talk about them a lot you fall into shorthand and slang for some things that simply makes it faster and easier to get your point across - kind of like what happens at the workplace.  Newer people won't always understand or may misunderstand, but it allows for shorter posts and the more rapid transfer of ideas.  Technical writing when you're striving for 100% accuracy and limited potential for misinterpretation can take a lot of time and effort, especially on subjects like genetics.

This is pretty much how I see it too. With things being "faster and easier"... that pretty much sums up my line about language evolving, as it were. 

I see new growers use pheno specifically for pod shape and pod shape only a lot, especially on Facebook. Then again, that's Facebook, which is a whole different game! I try to help new growers in some of the Beginner's forums as often as I can. Not so much to be the "I'm A Learned Pepper Guy You Must Listen To" but more jst to help when they have questions about history, species differentiation.. etc etc. 

It's different on here and always has been, which I like. 

As far as "Aji", you're spot on. While I know what they mean, I also like to share what that ancient word means. I would love to see a world where we use the word Baccatum instead, but I also know for certain that will never happen haha. Some things are just the way they are and that's all there is to it. 

Maybe it's just some strange "thing" I have. I love how much I've learned and read after all these years and I guess i just think other people would like to learn too. I forget that not every one is a freakin' dork about this shit. I think I obsess too much. 

I'll just flow like water I suppose. It's better that way. "Be tolerant with others and strict with yourself."

Back