phenotypes in peppers

I know that in the persuit of creating a new genotype in peppers one must effectivly cross the two or three stable parents with multiple back crosses and recrosses etc to hopefully achieve a new stable strain.

but what of fenotypes? 
plant a dozen bell peppers and a dozen jalapenos right next to them and your wife or significant other who my not appreciate peppers with warmth will be asking you what you did to her peppers. does it end there or are other characteristics also directly transferable to same year pods? and to what extent?

I ask because I just consumed a still green serrano that had a peculiar fruitiness to it. it wasnt overpowering but it was subtley there. I have never tasted this in a serrano or any pepper before. sweet yes, but not fruity. many of my peppers due to space are growing in close proximity and are subject to cross pollonation. I have had some jalapenos this year that I was convinced had been crossed with thai because of the type of burn they were producing. Jalapenos have never hit me in the throat in the laranex area. I have a serrano that I am growing out that exibits the external characteristics of a jalapeno. I have also tasted one of these and there seemed to be similarities of both peppers in the one pod.

Has anyone else had similar observations in their peppers and what were they.

HP22BH said:
I know tI know that in the persuit of creating a new genotype in peppers one must effectivly cross the two or three stable parents with multiple back crosses and recrosses etc to hopefully achieve a new stable strain.

but what of fenotypes? 
plant a dozen bell peppers and a dozen jalapenos right next to them and your wife or significant other who my not appreciate peppers with warmth will be asking you what you did to her peppers. does it end there or are other characteristics also directly transferable to same year pods? and to what extent?a

Phenotype and a genotype are directly related. A genotype is the exact makeup of an individual. A phenotype is what is outwardly expressed. A red phenotype pepper may be red/yellow in its genotype but only red is expressed because it is dominant over yellow.

That being said, nothing changes the same year pods. It only changes the genotype of the seeds contained within the pepper.

^^^^ there are no changes to same year pods unless you have natural grafting or induced horizontal gene transfer occuring via some transferring disease or other vector. The jury is still out on the extent of changes that can occur and how they are transferred. 

see my thread on HGT

thegreenman said:
^^^^ there are no changes to same year pods unless you have natural grafting or induced horizontal gene transfer occuring via some transferring disease or other vector. The jury is still out on the extent of changes that can occur and how they are transferred. 

see my thread on HGT
great! there may be something to this in regards to the serrano / jalapeno. I will dig deeper into your threads a little later. looks like some good reading. Thx

Back