• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Phillips 40W Plant and Aquarium Bulbs

I just installed 2 - 48" Phillips Plant and Aquarium bulbs into my double fixture and the light seems to be a pink color. Is this normal for these bulbs and is this better than the daylight bulbs I have been using which appear to be much more bright white? I also just setup a T5 jumpstart light kit and the light bulb that comes with that seems to be bright white color.

The pink aquarium tubes have the majority of their output concentrated in the red and blue regions, which is ideal for plant growth.

For seeds they should be fine. I used aquarium lights for mine, but they where a bit smaller.

I have always used a 2 bulb 4 foot flourescent fixture with one cool white and one warm light with great results. You get a bluish glow from one and a redish glow from the other.

Always had great results with my habs and the bulbs cost about $2 a peice.

Set them on a timer so they run for about 16 hours a day. If you use a water mat, the whole process becomes almost automated.

jakealbert said:
I have always used a 2 bulb 4 foot flourescent fixture with one cool white and one warm light with great results. You get a bluish glow from one and a redish glow from the other.

+1...I have 20 shop light fixtures that are set up just like that....4100K and 6500K

I have a twin 2' fitting which came with warm white tubes. I got some daylight tubes separately so I may try a mix.

I could even add a 20w daylight and 20w warm white cfl to the array.

Chris

EDIT
Just plugged mine with a blue / red combo... I will look forward to some results when I get plants started.

How close do you get them?

P081009_2007.jpg

I had 2 40W daylight tubes in them while I was away for a week which seems to have worked fine. I guess I'll try the 40W plant and aquarium for about the same time to get a comparison. I would hope that the Plant specific bulbs would work better considering they cost me $10 each.

On a side note, the seedlings are about 4 - 5" tall now and when putting them in direct sunlight they still cringe and get droppy after about 30 minutes.
I'm affraid to leave them any longer because its still really hot out in the direct sunlight.
I guess I'll continue to use the lights untill they get a little bigger and stronger.

start slow with your hardening off and increase their time of exposure day by day until they are left out in the open all the time...

I look at it like this...so what if they get sunburned?...the tips will die, new growth will appear and the plants will get really bushy...and you know the bushier the plant the more pods they will produce....JMO

Well its not a little sunburn I'm really worried about, its them flat out dying. Im not too experianced with this so I guess thats why I'm being extra carefull. But a few of them got to the point where they just dropped right over and the top of the plant was on the ground. Is this a normal thing to happen after a short period in the sun?

I currently have the Jalapeno's and Aneheims in full sun all day but they are in the 6 - 8" tall range and seem to be adjusted to the sun.
I will try your advice and give them more sun each day and see how that goes AJ. As always thanks for the advice.

When using the flourescents there is not enough heat coming off to worry about sunburn. You will still need to slowly expose them to direct sunlight when you are ready to take them outside or you will find all the cells in each leaf explode (not pretty) I generally keep my lights about 3-4 inches from the tops of my habs. If you really wanted to, you could swap around the fixture every week too so the plants get equal amounts of each bulb.

Hope this helps

While visiting my local Cooperative Extension Service I picked up a flier entitled 'growing indoors with fluorescents' or some such thing. It had all the basics, but it also included something to the effect of 'studies have shown that plant and aquarium specific fluorescent tubes such as (then it named a few brands such as Philips and Ott-lite) have no increase in yield or performance over standard full-spectrum lights.' Then it rattled off a few names and I believe the studies. I think I still have the flier at home, I'll have to look it up.

Well the plants have been out in the back porch since they were planted. So they have been getting shaded sun daily. Also about an hour or so of mild late afternoon shade when the sun get low and can beem into the porch. I have placed them in between two rows of my larger plants so they can get some direct and shaded sun during the day. Here is a pic after they have been exposed about 3 hours or so.

IMG_1292.jpg

Back