seed-train PHOENIX SEED TRAIN

Phoenix seed train rules.

The following are the rules for and while riding on the seed train. These are my rules and are to be adhered to at all times. I do not care that they may seem to be petty, ridiculous, or over bearing. If you don’t like them, Don’t ride. I DON’T CARE. They are in place for a good reason.

1) FOLLOW THE RULES! Failure to follow the rules will lead to being banned. Period.
 Additionally, I will forward a list of the banned and the reasons to all other operators of trains on the forum. They can then decide your additional fate if any
 2) Open only to contiguous US members.

3)  You MUST be an active THP member for 6 months or longer and have at least 300 posts. 

3)  Quid pro quo. Take a seed, leave a seed. Or more if you can.
This train grows with each round and provides its riders with a variety of pepper seed not available anywhere else.
Generosity is rewarded with generosity and variety. It is not a charity seed bank. If you only have a couple of varieties to contribute then post on the forum for seeds you want. There are very generous members here that will, if asked send you seed. A seed train is NOT the place for a newbie to obtain hundreds of varieties of pepper for few varieties everyone already has.
 If you ride and remove seed and do not make a contribution, you are banned. Contributions will be identified as per the rule #4

4)  Affix an adhesive label to the seed packet with at the very least variety and THP user name. Do not use any form of pen, marker or other form of writing instrument directly on the plastic bag. All individual seed packets should be placed into a large zip lock bag with THP user name.  If you remove the final content of any of the varieties from its packet, return the empty seed packet to the large zip lock bag so that it may be refilled by the originator for the next round. If you remove a seed packet from a contributors Ziploc bag, return it to the same bag. Not someone else’s. Only the person contributing the seed should remove the individual empty seed packets.

5)  Prior to re-shipping the seed pack, establish contact with the next person on the list and confirm they know the seed packet shipment is imminent. They should already be aware of where the train is and expecting it. You should have contacted this person at the onset of the train for their shipping address so when you are ready to ship there isn't any last minute chaos.
If there is a problem or prior shipping concern, contact me and I will provide reroute instructions.

6)  Turn the packet around in 3 (THREE) days. And place back into service with a USPS tracking number. The default standard shipping container has been the 9.5" x 12.5" Priority mail flat rate envelope. These are free but must be ordered online from USPS. Now is a good time to do so as everyone should be shipping in a new envelope each time the seeds are shipped.

Go to https://www.usps.com/ and set up an acct. from there, go here.https://store.usps.c...=30&q_pageNum=2

Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope
SKU: EP14PE-XV   9-1/2" x 12-1/2"Pack of 15 Envelopes
Availability: Ships in 3-5 Business Days
7)  Once the pack has left your possession, post here with the tracking number.

8)   If you are interested in participating and meet the requirements, Post to this thread[SIZE=14.5pt] (I'm in)[/SIZE].
The train will be full at 15 riders. New riders will be added as first come first serve. But may be modified to expedite and make the train more efficient.
I know $hit happens and intent and execution are two different things. If you find at any time you cannot continue to participate, contact me at once and I will make the necessary changes.
Providing of course, you contact me before the packet ships to you.

9)    No rigid containers containing powders, sauces or seed. The only containers allowed on the train are plastic bags.
 10)  It is assumed that when you sign on to participate in the seed train, that you are interested in doing so. That being the case, it is up to you to be proactive and ready to receive the seed packet. Very little, I repeat, very little time will be spent attempting to contact participants whose inbox is full and who have not logged on in weeks. I will attempt to make this years train more efficient and expedient as well as beneficial.

A running and up-datable list will be placed at the bottom of this page and it will contain all of the riders of the current round. It will however, not be the order the train will run. I will make every possible effort to place riders in the position of the choosing but cannot guarantee it.

As the train grows there are bound to be duplicate seed types. When I get the train at the mid point, I will NOT combine any duplicate seeds into one envelope. No one else should either. 
Participation requirements. The established requirements to participate are the absolute minimum I feel should be in place (6 months and 300 posts). There is a lot of members hard work in one packet of seeds and in most cases no one knows anyone on the forum much more than a user name. Longevity and character on the forum are the best clues about the perspective rider (but I have found this to not be conclusive). It is my responsibility to all riders to attempt to vet all riders to the best of my online ability. 
The train won’t leave till I am confident that everyone knows where the train is coming from, who it is going to and when. I will provide an actual train schedule prior to departure.

Anyway I can get a spot a little further down the line? Busy with funeral arrangements, so,I wouldn't be able to turn around a package in 3 days if I were to get an early spot.

Just don't want to hold it up is all.

chiltepin said:
thats 1

EvanWilliams1988 said:
Anyway I can get a spot a little further down the line? Busy with funeral arrangements, so,I wouldn't be able to turn around a package in 3 days if I were to get an early spot.

Just don't want to hold it up is all.
 My condolences. That should be no problem, Thats 2

bpiela said:
I'm in.  I don't really need anything right now but I got stuff to donate.
Good to have you, you still may find something interesting. That makes 3

FGpepperguy said:
RNU'd the rules.  Lets rock.  I'm in!
We have 4. 10 to go

I hope for you guys this train doesn't get misplaced. I bet you could get a few more riders that would be interested but cant due to the post requirement. Since it was lost on a rider with several times the post requirement you may want to consider that? If you really want to get this train moving I would like to recommend/vouch for a rider that has been here since december and is active. I would not worry about your train getting derailed as she is very generous, CheriLBW. Just a suggestion.

Student of Spice said:
I hope for you guys this train doesn't get misplaced. I bet you could get a few more riders that would be interested but cant due to the post requirement. Since it was lost on a rider with several times the post requirement you may want to consider that? If you really want to get this train moving I would like to recommend/vouch for a rider that has been here since december and is active. I would not worry about your train getting derailed as she is very generous, CheriLBW. Just a suggestion.

Right on! I've been waiting to ride a train, but usually fall short of the membership and post requirements.

Might be timing. Most have their grows on. Like bpiela I don't need much if anything but can put a bunch on the train.
All aboard!

Student of Spice said:
Thank you for the recommendation SoS, I do appreciate your confidence in me.

I am not sure I would have enough to offer a train like this just yet anyway. I have a wide variety of seeds, but as I have not grown them out myself yet ( doing that this year) I would hesitate to offer them as anything other then of unknown quality.
Later this year I will have seeds from friends in several countries that would be interesting to add to a train.
I can wait till I hit the required posts. And members are welcome to pm me about any seeds I have listed on my grow list or that I have mentioned.

Student of Spice said:
While I understand the point you are attempting to make, the participants post count requirement has nothing to do with the train getting lost. a lost train is always a possibility and in many cases nothing can be done about it. It is a risk everyone incurs when they decide to participate. The most basic problem with what occurred was the failure to either read and/or the failure to follow the rules.
A tracking # would vindicate any possible notion that a participant decided to just keep the train. A tracking# was not obtained or provided and thus the potential distrust of the other participants. As I stated on #1, READ the RULES.

The problem that many new trains or older one restarting incur are the variety of seeds available to garner interest to participate. I am going into my own reserves to do just that. Most of my seed was used to get the train started 2 years ago. And for that reason, I find myself going back on the pledge when I said I would never grow 300+ plants again. looks like next year I will be doing just that.

Being things are what they are, this time around, I am lowering the 300 post count requirement to 150 and forum membership longevity to 3 mos.

And if you have 50 posts over a 4 mo period, dont post 100 times in the next two weeks to bump up your post count. I have seen that before and it wont fly.

Absolutely I understand that and appreciate all the hard work you do in order to get these trains rolling, and I hope all of your riders do as well. These trains are a great way of adding some fun and surprise in our lives. I think youre doing a good job.The last one I did was a lot of fun. I really hope some of our members here hop on! It was a great way to see different types of peppers even if I wasn't going to sample any. Someone even tossed in some dill, I am assuming it was someone who didn't have much to share but I tell ya what, Ive never grown dill and grabbed one to plant so it was awesome. Was a really nice surprise. Not all of the riders followed similar set rules there was times that no tracking was included and no one knew where it was and people didn't respond. The other problem was the turn around a few people would have the pack a week at a time or more. I think your suggestions should hopefully curb that behaviour but I think if you are also as you alluded to, checking what their posts consist of and make sure they have an active roll on the board. At least checking in every other day at least just to log on and see if you've been mentioned. I think one person was difficult to get a hold of because of this and was about to be skipped but a few days were lost on them. When are you wanting to get this train going by? What is the hopeful departure date? If towards that date you don't have enough riders I can hop on to add some stuff but unless you got a Ulupica Capsicum Cardenasii in there, I really wont be needing anything. 

I really don't set any date for departure, but if I feel too much time has expired I shorten the participation roster. We could go with 10 if that happens.

I may throw in a limited supply of Xalapas and landrace Serranos to spark some interest. Both of these pepper grow huge and the Serranos are particularly hot when left to grow to their potential. As far as seed other than pepper goes, that's fine if someone has something rare or interesting. I have acquired some tomatoe seed from Tony's train. I have not seen these offered anywhere else before and would have no issue if they were to find their way on this train.

I will be throwing a bag on this train that is improperly marked. Everyone will know it what they see it. It is the only bag of seed that is allowed as such. All other contributions are to be properly marked as per the rules.

Paphlady said:
Ooo.ooo.ooo...Does this mean I barely qualify with new requirements?

With this post? Just barely. Just need to say so yet.

Scuba_Steve said:
Count me in!

BTW, reading above posts, did something happen to the wild train?
Yeah, it appears it was lost in the mail. Can't be certain because no tracking number was provided hence the enhanced and updated rules.

Oh, btw, that's 5

Well,I guess I can hop on and give this a try. I will just mark those I have not tested as such if that is OK with everyone.
I will be gone for 1 week mid April and for almost 3 weeks in July.
If it happens I am due the train at those times I can simply step off till next round or go later.
Thank you for allowing me this opportunity.

Back