• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Physically rotating containers with peppers

Is it bad practice to rotate containers?
What I mean is, I have a tall 2" Jalapeno plant that was
growing toward the sun.

I thought I would rotate the container 180 degrees so it would
not grow crooked, and let the other side get some sun.

This morning, it had dropped three large flowers on it's own,
which I assume is a result of the turning...I guess it didn't like
that... is it best to just leave the containers alone and
let the plants grow as they may?

I dont think it does any harm at all. You mean 2' not 2" right? Cause i'd be surprised if a 2inch jala had flowers to lose ;)

If its a two foot plant im surprised that it still had a lean going, i think you're best turning semi-regularly before a serious lean develops :P . Though in the case of seedlings, they can lean from one side to another on a day to day basis so its a bit of a fight heh.

I turn my containers all the time in order to get better sun coverage, and I turn them the opposite direction that the sun moves so the cold side of the pots warm up quicker on cold days

I've started rotating my pots, as well.
Not so much for the sun coverage and warming the soil and all, even though they're great ideas, but I do it to frak with my plants heads and make them dance for me. :hell:

LancelBracken said:
I dont think it does any harm at all. You mean 2' not 2" right? Cause i'd be surprised if a 2inch jala had flowers to lose ;)

Oops...yeah, two FEET tall.
It's pretty tall and skinny (it grows indoors in my office, so
it doesn't get much direct sunlight except in the afternoon).
The base stem is about the size of a No. 2 pencil.
From the soil to the top of the tallest leaf, it has grown
from 20" to 28" in the last two weeks.

The ones I grew outside in the garden last year were
shorter and bushier than this one with much thicker
stems at the base (by the end of the season).

I ended up staking it this morning to help with the stability.

Maybe I'm watering it too much and the roots aren't going deep
enough to anchor it in properly. I give it about 4oz of water per day. Just enough to keep the soil from being totally dry.

So, if turning it away from the sun didn't cause the flowers to drop, what might cause that? Lack of something in the soil?
It didn't lose all of them, just about 1/5 of them (the biggest flowers).

Flower drop can be quite common and can depend on things like watering, heat, nutrients and light.

It could also be simply, the plant isn't ready.

Your time will come.

Chris

jetskee said:
On)Maybe I'm watering it too much and the roots aren't going deep enough to anchor it in properly. I give it about 4oz of water per day. Just enough to keep the soil from being totally dry.

I have always read that the plants grow better when they are watered less often and with more water. So instead of giving them 4oz a day give them 16oz every 4 days. This is suppose to make the roots grow deeper as they are searching for water.

Back