• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Picking the first pod?

DatilDaddy

Banned
Been looking for this topic and cant really find an answer. I heard it is best to pick the first pod when you have the plants producing. If so, when do you pick? At the first sign of one growing, or when it is starting to mature? I just heard this increases production in the long run. True?

I never really thought about it, but I pick the first pod when it looks ripe to me. Come to think of it, last year I had a Jamaican Red Hot that never produced after I picked the first ripe pod. It had about 3 others growing on it, but it never produced anymore after those. Never figured out why and I never saved any seeds. I am bummed out now, they were tasty too.

Think of it as pruning... the idea is to channel the plants energy into other activities, if the pod looks puny or misshapen, go ahead and pluck it and toss it if you like...

Thats what I thought but I dont know how much energy it takes from the rest of the plant for just one pepper. Seems to me it might not make much difference. But, thats why im asking i guess.

If your plant isn't very big yet, picking the first pod (or the bloom beforehand) or even more than one, will let it concentrate its energy on stem and leaf growth so ultimately you have a larger plant with more forks in it and more peppers by the end of the season. A single pepper doesn't take much energy BUT plant growth has synergy, every increase in plant growth increases the amount of sun and nutrients it can take in to grow even faster. It's a personal decision when a plant is big enough that you'll let it get some fruit started, personally if it looks healthy, growing at the right rate for what it is, I wait for plants to be about 10" tall if the tall type, or 6-7" tall if a bushier low height type plant.

On the other hand if the pepper (fruit) is already 1/2 it's full size it seems a waste not to let it go ahead and finish what it started, and leave the peper on the plant till it's ripe. It doesn't necessarily have to be the first pod you pick off, rather that the more you limit how many peppers a small plant grows, the sooner it becomes a larger plant. This should work well for you since you have a long growing season being in FL, your plant can get big and still have time to get a large # growing and ripe before the end of the season. Up here in zone 6a, if I had only another 50 days till the first frost I'd probably have at least 50% more seasonal yield.

Back