• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pickling Advice

I'm a novice as regards to pickling hot peppers, although my first attempt several years ago was a disaster, resulting in food poisening. :lol:

Instead of making the pickling vinegar myself, i'm thinking of buying some "ready made"

Sarsons Ready Spiced Pickling Vinegar is easy to buy in UK supermarkets, so i'm looking at this.

I've just ordered 80 fresh orange habaneros, and i really want this to work this time.

Is this vinegar ok to use for peppers? If so, do i really need to heat it up first, or can i pour onto the peppers cold?

I'm a bit lazy :) so i'd rather not have to make the pickling vinegar myself!

Obviously i know i've got to make a whole in each pepper, but with what? and how big of a whole?

BTW, i do like a strong vinegary taste with habs, so this may be ok?

Thanks.

I use a wooden shish kabob stick or you can use a knife. The mix is fine to use but I just use vinegar and kosher salt tsps salt to 4 cups vinegar -- sterlize the jars and boil the lids -- how are you processing them in a water bath or under pressure? If in a water bath make sure the water is above the lid by an inch and full boil for 10 min. I havent used a pressure canner so I cant help you with that.

oh and Welcome to THP

A lot of us needed to pickle or can peppers after harvest recently. Use the search function (try keywords like pickling, pickled, canning...) and you'll find some threads with hints and recipes!

What LD said is good info anyway. If you are using a pressure cooker, boil the jars for 15 mins and you should be good!

Refrigerating if practical is good too. I preserve lots of peppers in vinegar without pressure cooking. I keep them in the fridge though!

I didnt do them in the fridge because I wanted to have them later in the colder months coming ... and I had so many had to put up or shut up :(

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll sterilize the jars in a water bath, although i'm struggling to find a large enough pan as my jars are quite big.

So, i'll use the Sarsons Ready Spiced Pickling Vinegar then!

Couple more:

1. How long would the pickled jar of peppers last? The longer the better, as i'll order more peppers to pickle. :shocked: Probably have to store them in the cupboard, although maybe the fridge at a squeeze. Would that make much of a difference as regards to how long i can store them?

Thanks.

Pickled Peppers

A good rule of thumb is to use 2 cups of vinegar and 2 cups of water with about 4 tsps. salt.
I bring it to a boil to dissolve the salt then remove it from the heat.

The spices and garlic, etc. is up to your imagination. I never made the same jar exactly the same! Just boil for 10-12 minutes after putting the lids and rings on.
This makes about 4 pints.

Heres One From JohnF From elsewhere..A good one :shocked:

I think these are great and easy.

I adapted a bread and butter pickle recipe, sustituting pepper-- mostly jalapenos. They are very tasty and can either be stored in the fridge without processing--they stay crispy-- or proceessed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and stored at room temp.
I usually increase the amts for the brine to be sure I have enough to cover the peppers

1 1/2 to 2 lbs peppers sliced 1/4 " thick
2 medium onions sliced thin
6 ice cubes
1/4 cup coarse ( Kosher/Sea ) salt
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

In large bowl combine peppers, onions, salt, and ice. Let stand 1 hour tosssing occassionally.

Fill bowl with water and drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain three times to rinse off all salt. Drain well.

In large pan combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetables and when the liquid barely begins to simmer remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

Put in jars with enough brine to cover vegetables and store in the fridge. Ready to eat the next day but I have kept in fridge for many months. really good--crunchy-not too sweet--not too sour.

I used straight vinegar and salt disolved in a sauce pan over low heat. For my bigger jars I lay them sideways I have a little grate thingy on the bottom of the pot to keep the jar off the bottom to prevent overheating and cracking.

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but how do i avoid all the peppers from floating to the top of the jar?

I packed each jar with peppers well, put a large enough whole/slit in each pepper...but they have all "forced" their way upwards in the jar, leaving the one's at the very top not covered by the vinegar.

It's only 1 day since i finished the process, so will they "sink" back to the bottom in time?

Thanks. :shocked:

they should sink I've found that soaking them in a brine (thanks Patowie) or in the vinegar over night "fills" that problem when the air is replaced by mix then heat pack

Back