• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling/canning peppers and veggies

What method do you use, what's your best recipe, etc...

With the season in the northern hemisphere coming to an end, it'd be cool to see some of your tricks. We can all benefit from exchanging ideas.

Pics are more than welcome, too! :)

I have been fooling around with some lately mostly Jalapeno's , Hot Cherry and tomatoes -- I dont know how a pickeld hab would be unless I put it in to pickeld eggs for a bit

Bobby Flay
Pickled Jalapenos:
3 cups rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise
7 sprigs fresh cilantro
Special equipment: 1 (8-ounce) jar
Combine the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, seeds, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes, and then remove from the heat and let sit until cooled to room temperature.
Place the jalapenos, stem side up, into the jar and pour enough cooled vinegar mixture over them to cover. Pack the cilantro sprigs into the jar. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 4 days.

How To Make Giardiniera
Easy Recipe Ingredients & Directions:
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon pickling salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups sliced carrots, cut 1/4-inch thick
4 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups red and green bell peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces
2 cups celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
In a 6 to 8 quart saucepot, combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, pickling spice and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 4 minutes. Add vegetables, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are hot, about 5 minutes. Immediately fill hot quart or pint jars with mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully run a nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jar and screw bands on firmly but not to tight (about finger tip tight) Process quarts or pints in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
Makes 3 quarts or 5 to 6 pints
NOTES: Boil jars for 10 minutes in a canning kettle large enough to hold 6 or 7 jars and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water. Keep jars in kettle till ready to use. Remove jars one at a time and fill with pickles or jam. (You will find that a jar lifter is handy. Call Ball or Kerr Jars for ordering.) Return water in kettle to a boil put jars back into the kettle of boiling water and for pickles only start to time 10 minutes. Canning kettle should have a rack in the bottom for jars. The jars should not sit on the kettle bottom.

I use this one without carrot and I sliced them
Pickled Jalapeno Peppers (1 quart jar)
• Jalapeno peppers (about 2 pounds)
• 1 cup vinegar
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
• 2 carrot slices, 2 celery sticks and a garlic clove (optional)
Caution: Always wear gloves or coat hands with fat when working with hot peppers. They may cause burns.
Wash peppers and pack into a hot jar. Add carrot slices, celery sticks and a clove of garlic if desired. Pack tightly, leaving 2-inch headspace. Combine vinegar, water salt and pickling spices. Heat to boiling. Pour boiling hot liquid over peppers to two inches from top of jar top. Remove air bubbles by running a plastic knife or rubber spatula down the side of the jar, rotating, releasing trapped air between the peppers.Wipe jar rims clean. Adjust prepared two piece canning lid. Process jar in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Using jar lifters, remove to a draft free area, and allow to cool. Check the seal. Label the container.

I added a small pinch of Turmeric to the Jap's just and experiment -- I like Mrs. Reffino's (sp) pickled Jalpenos and thats what she has in it IDK --
I am going to do Cherry peppers like this as well whole and from what I have read you need to add a slice or small holes in them first before pouring the vinegar mix on them

some others I collected and have not tried yet

Pickled Peppers (Betty Pataky recipe)

Hungarian Semi-sweet Peppers
3 parts water, 1 part 5% white vinegar; bring to a boil, then cool slightly (can be warm). In wide-mouth jars (they are easier), put one teaspoon of salt and 2 cloves of garlic. Then pack in your peppers that have been cut and ribs removed. Pour your cooled solution over peppers. I let mine set overnight covered with waxed paper. Then next morning, fill them again as the peppers absorb some of the liquids, then seal.

Pickled Peppers (file from University of Colorado)

2 pounds Hungarian Wax or banana peppers*
2 pounds sweet peppers (in strips)*
1 pound cherry peppers*
1 jalapeno per jar (if desired for hotness)
1 clove of garlic per jar
6 cups of vinegar
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt
1 tablespoon sugar (if desired)

*Note: May use a variety of peppers to equal 5 pounds (4 quarts)
Yield: Makes 7 to 8 pints
Procedure: Wash peppers. Small peppers may be left whole with two small slits in each pepper. Core and cut large peppers into strips. Pack one clove garlic and a variety of peppers into clean, hot, sterilized jars, leaving ” headspace. Combine vinegar. water, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Pour hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving ” headspace. Remove air bubbles. Readjust headspace to ”. Wipe jar rims. Add pre-treated lids and process in boiling water bath. For best flavor, store jars five to six weeks before opening. Process pints 10 minutes, quarts 15 minutes.

Pickled Banana Pepper Rings (Heinz pickling recipe)

3 lbs banana or Anaheim chili peppers
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon pickling salt
4 cloves of garlic

Wash peppers and cut into ” rings. Remove core and seeds. In a 6 to 8 quart saucepot, combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil. Add sliced peppers and return to a boil. Remove from heat. Place one clove garlic in each hot sterilized pint jar. Immediately fill jars with with pepper rings, leaving ” headspace. Immediately pour hot vinegar mixture over peppers, leaving ” headspace. Carefully run a non-metallic utensil down around inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and screw bands on firmly. Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes. Makes about 4 pints.

If you come up with others let me know I have been trying to figure out what to do with my Lemon Drops Nagas and Brown habs Datils and soon Scotch bonnets and Rocotos

I use rock salt to I.G Gotta love those trace minerals and adds a great taste to preserved Veg Including chili's..I use cider and white vinegar..The cider helps the taste of earthier tasting chili's when pickling..Have got some Fataliis done with Whit wine vinegar to and they taste great pickled and all that was added was water,Salt and a tiny amount of all spice :)

I decided to repost this recipe here....

Pickled Cucumbers (by HotPeppersFlyFishing --- Thanks!!!!)
boil the jars for 10 min lids 5
1 lb pickling cucs (about 8) cut into wedges about 4 cucs per jar
4 garlic cloves peeled (cut in half) 2 per jar
fresh dill
chile peppers (your choice
pickling salt (1 tbls per jar)
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
boil water vinegar solution
while solution is being heated to a boil
pack jars til full
add dill(to your liking I like em heavy dilled) garlic and the chile peppers (cut a slit into the chile's) to each jar
when solution gets to a boil fill each jar so all is covered
seal then hot water bath in boiling water for about 10 min
optional: add a few peppercorns and mustard seed to each jar if desired

talas said:
..Have got some Fataliis done with Whit wine vinegar to and they taste great pickled and all that was added was water,Salt and a tiny amount of all spice :)

Ding thats what I was looking for !

Chiliac said:
I decided to repost this recipe here....

Pickled Cucumbers (by HotPeppersFlyFishing --- Thanks!!!!)
boil the jars for 10 min lids 5
1 lb pickling cucs (about 8) cut into wedges about 4 cucs per jar
4 garlic cloves peeled (cut in half) 2 per jar
fresh dill
chile peppers (your choice
pickling salt (1 tbls per jar)
4 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
boil water vinegar solution
while solution is being heated to a boil
pack jars til full
add dill(to your liking I like em heavy dilled) garlic and the chile peppers (cut a slit into the chile's) to each jar
when solution gets to a boil fill each jar so all is covered
seal then hot water bath in boiling water for about 10 min
optional: add a few peppercorns and mustard seed to each jar if desired

Im going to try this later tonight maybe --- Have you made this one yet?

let me all know what you think if you make some.The 1st jar i opened is now gone!!:lol:G/F came over today asked for 1i said its gone (didnt tell her about the jar in the basement lol) she went and got 2 pounds more of pickling cucs :lol:
made 3 more jars.Oh and btw you can used any of your chile powders and flakes also!!

Yeah, but I prefer it fresh, looks better, too! :)

Anything I can get fresh I'd rather use even if I have to wait for a day or two to get it.

Does it affect the flavor much with out ? Should I let them stay out for a day or so with the lid loose to start fermentation or seal it right up?

I had read somewhere about half sours or sours and it had mentioned leaving the lid off for a day or two then cap it for fermintation.
I made a quart last night to give it a go -- 4 cloves of garlic, 4 tobasco peppers, a good pinch of mustard seed a few pepper corns and a grape leaf -- all in a jar and filled with a 2to1 mix of vinegar to water. and hot water bathed it to seal -- I let it sit for a few days and check it out --

Back