• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling/canning peppers and veggies

I soak my habs(and others) in a salt water brine before pickling to help keep them firm and I don't use iodonized salt, especially when garlic cloves are added. Pickling salts seem to be alright

I bought a bag of pickling cucumbers and everything else I need and didn't have, so I can give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for all your input, I'll post pics (if I succeed! :)).

LUCKYDOG said:
I had read somewhere about half sours or sours and it had mentioned leaving the lid off for a day or two then cap it for fermintation.
I made a quart last night to give it a go -- 4 cloves of garlic, 4 tobasco peppers, a good pinch of mustard seed a few pepper corns and a grape leaf -- all in a jar and filled with a 2to1 mix of vinegar to water. and hot water bathed it to seal -- I let it sit for a few days and check it out --

Chiliac said:
I bought a bag of pickling cucumbers and everything else I need and didn't have, so I can give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for all your input, I'll post pics (if I succeed! :)).

Let me know if you guys liked it!!!

20080911_0009.jpg

Peppers08D.jpg

Peppers08C.jpg

Back