• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Pickling Jamaican Mushroom Peppers?

I have had "Matouk's Salsa Picante Hot Pepper Sauce" from that link and it was plenty warm for a grocery store bought sauce at least for around here. I haven't had it for awhile but it recall it was a not bad sauce but a little salty but a good amount of heat.

I have had "Matouk's Salsa Picante Hot Pepper Sauce" from that link and it was plenty warm for a grocery store bought sauce at least for around here. I haven't had it for awhile but it recall it was a not bad sauce but a little salty but a good amount of heat.
Yeah it's not bad. I have had the red and yellow, me neighbor loves there sauces. I was thinking of making a pickled yellow scotch bonnets sauce. I have close to 2 pounds of pods growing in my grow room. Hoping they change color soon.

im growing the yellow this year and there an OK pepper flavor-wise better than some annum species flavor is a bit delicate , there not very hot(that is for me) i would do a half vinegar half water mixture
salt,garlic,onion,Ball fruit fresh and sugar to your taste (if you wish)
pack them fresh in the jar cutting them open with all items mentioned
seal lids and scald jars for about 40 minutes, the will cook right in the jar and you wont loose any of the flavor

hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

+1..............what Joe said...
Yellow Mushrooms, Patty Pan Squash, or Cherry Bombs make an excellent choice for the jar. This past weekend a water bathed a half gallon ball jar full with unripe "Chicago Sport " peppers for a neighborhood pub. Their intend is to use as garnish in a Boody Mary. Likewise I only use a 50/50% mix of vinegar/distilled water. Some folks use 5/1 acidity. I rapid boil the liquid and pour over chili's inside jar . Water bath for 15 minutes and in 2 weeks the chili's are processed nicely. No dill, garlic just 2 tbl of pickling salt...

Good luck with the process

Greg .

im growing the yellow this year and there an OK pepper flavor-wise better than some annum species flavor is a bit delicate , there not very hot(that is for me) i would do a half vinegar half water mixture
salt,garlic,onion,Ball fruit fresh and sugar to your taste (if you wish)
pack them fresh in the jar cutting them open with all items mentioned
seal lids and scald jars for about 40 minutes, the will cook right in the jar and you wont loose any of the flavor

hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

Excuse the likely dumb question because I'm REALLY new to all of this but, is this basically a "fastforward" of the pickling process?

WHAT DID YOU WANNA KNOW THERE ARE A FEW METHODS
Anything you wanna teach my man, lol! I'm so new to all of this. First year growing, canning, making sauces, the works. I've made a few hot sauces over the last few months but I'm still pretty new to that as well. But at the moment I'm just focusing on the pickling process.

Anything you wanna teach my man, lol! I'm so new to all of this. First year growing, canning, making sauces, the works. I've made a few hot sauces over the last few months but I'm still pretty new to that as well. But at the moment I'm just focusing on the pickling process.

BASICALLY THE FIRST EMPHASIS SHOULD BE UPON CLEANLINESS

Im a sauce maker more than anything but can my own pepper too

take peppers cut slits in them so the liquid contacts them better
scald your jars and lids
pack jars with peppers, garlic, salt,onion and fruit fresh whatever else you want to flavor them with

bring to a boil vinegar and water mixture
pour in jars and seal them tight let them cool
wait about two months before consuming they seem to taste better if you wait a little while :drooling:

hope this help ;)
you can also find lots of good info on SAFE CANNING PROCEDURES online

thanks your friend Joe

Back