• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling my cross ??

I had an accidental cross from last year (long story) but basically a Jalapeno crossed with a Brain Strain and the result is a pod smaller than a traditional Jalspeno almost bite sized that has a sweetish jalapeño taste followed by some really good heat. The plant was extremely prolific. I have saved all the seeds I need but still have a grip of little pods so I thought to pickle them. I want to pickle them whole . Should I cut a slit in the sides of the pod since Im processing them whole? Also should I water bathe them? I always just use vinager and salt keep it really simple any suggestions ? Here's some pics ..

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_1813-1.jpg

You shouldn't have to slit them unless you want to eat them sooner. A couple of months in the pickling bath and the vinegar should penetrate. Slits would help make the process go faster though. Your choice. Add some onions to your solution for a really tasty treat! I brought a gallon sized jar of pickled mix to work, and the onions are the star of the show.

Phil said:
You shouldn't have to slit them unless you want to eat them sooner. A couple of months in the pickling bath and the vinegar should penetrate. Slits would help make the process go faster though. Your choice. Add some onions to your solution for a really tasty treat! I brought a gallon sized jar of pickled mix to work, and the onions are the star of the show.
Thanks !

here's some approved recipes-
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html

Generally, if you want them shelf stable then HWP is advised, if they can be kept refrigerated, then make the brine and cover the pods and refer. 

I'd advise cutting slits in the pods as jalapenos are fairly thick skinned.  Nasties can grow on the insides of the chiles before the vinegar can penetrate the skins.  The pickling is pretty well done in 2 weeks this way.  Also....how will the pickled pods be used, as whole pods or will they be cut up?  Usually pickled peppers and their accompanying onions and garlic are chopped up or sliced and added to other stuff.  Might as well chop or slice them up now and save space in the jars.  Whole pods take up a whole lot of space in the jars. 

Good luck and Have Fun!

Back