• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling pepper methods Advice

Hello all!
Well I started to get my first harvest of ripe peppers and I have pepperoncinis up to my ears! So I decided to give pickling a try, I have read many recipes and articles online about pickling peppers, so much I think all of the different techniques have thrown me off of course of my objective. What I am looking for a crisp zesty pepper sort of like the ones from pappa johns you get with pizza. Last night I started to soak the peppers in pickling lime and this morning I drained and rinsed them off, now they are in a plain water soak to ensure all of the pickling lime is off because I have heard this stuff can be nasty. Pictures Below:

2010-08-12212052.jpg

I stuck a lid and measuring cup on top so they wouldnt float.

2010-08-12212427.jpg

I really have no experience on what I should do next. I know the basics but I am trying to get that real zesty flavor, and keep them non slimey! So any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Not sure that I can help, but here's how I go about pickling Pepperoncinis (or any other assortment of peppers). I've never used pickling lime.

Boil Kosher salt in a combination of water, white wine vinegar and regular white distilled vinegar. Use about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup water to 1 cup vinegar. You can adjust it based upon your personal preference. You really need to make sure that Kosher salt is used as it has no additives. Boil until salt is completely dissolved. After sterilizing jars and lids, put some freshly chopped garlic, some whole peppercorns, fresh spicy basil, and fresh oregeno in the bottom of the jar. You can use any combination of spices/herbs that you like. Add well washed peppers - stuff them in jar pretty tightly. If I'm making Pepperoncinis I use them whole. If I'm making an assorted mix I usually cut them into circles about 3/4 inch wide. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar until filled - use sterilized thin plastic spatula to get any air pockets out of jar - add more peppers if necessary and top with a little more basil and oregeno. Leave maybe 1/8 inch headroom in jar. Put lids tightly on jar - will be very hot so be careful. Turn jars upside down for a minute or so to help promote a good seal. Turn jars back upright and let them completely cool. Inpsect to make sure that lids properly sealed. Store them in a cool dark place for at least a week before using - I keep them in the spare refrigerator in the garage.

Thanks for the info! Very informative. I took 2 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of pickling salt, Boiled it then added about a tablespoon and a half of pickling spices and garlic to the jars, stuffed them with the peppers. One jar with a fatali and the other with a trinidad scorpion for some umph! Poured the liquid into the jars and now they are sitting in the fridge. The jar lids sealed up by doing this. I was just wondering about how long they would last in the fridge with this method? Here is a pic of the final product.

2010-08-13194534.jpg

If you didnt water bath them I wouldnt store them long term, eat them up! I have been pickling peppers this year as well and they dont last long, what I use is 2 cups vinegar 5% to 1 cup water and 1 tblspn pickling salt. Works well for me, nice flavor and they are still crunchy. Bring your mix to a boil and pour it over the well packed peppers. When all the bubbles stop, put your cap on and let it sit for atleast a week before eating.

Stabbing the peppers through with a knife works well to get pickling juices to the inside of the pepper.

Back