• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling Question

I just opened some of my Biker Billy Jalapeños I pickled about 4 weeks ago. I was very pleased with the taste and they retained every bit of the heat. I am new to pickling and my only complaint is that they were a little soft. I followed a basic recipe that call for about 5 parts vinegar to 1 part water, some salt and sugar etc. I simmered the solution for about 15 minutes then poured it into the sterilized jars with the peppers. I put the lids on and processed the jars for another 10minutes in boiling water, removed and the lids all popped several minutes later. If I cut back or eliminate the extra boiling will the peppers retain some firmness? Is it safe to eliminate this step? Any advice will be appreciated.

Unless you're making very small, quickly eaten batches, you may want to invest in a pressure canner.

Here's an excerpt from "Presto's" web page:

"If you're a novice to pressure canning, this outline will give you a basic knowledge of the terminology and instruction of canning.

The key to successful canning is understanding the acidity and spoilage factor of the food you wish to can, as well as the acceptable canning methods to process those foods.

There are two types of food, categorized as low-acid (vegetables, meat, poultry, and seafood) and high-acid (fruits and tomatoes). Both can be successfully canned by pressure canning.

However, pressure canning is the only method recommended safe for canning low-acid foods according to the United States Department of Agriculture. Boiling water method is another recommended method of processing, however this method is only acceptable for some foods. Always follow the processing method stated in the recipe.

Invisible microorganisms are present all around us. Fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry and seafood contain these microorganisms naturally. Yet, they are not a problem unless food is left to sit for extended periods of time, causing food spoilage. This is nature's way of telling us when food is no longer fit to eat.

There are four basic agents of food spoilage – enzymes, mold, yeast, and bacteria. Canning will interrupt the natural spoilage cycle, so food can be preserved safely. Molds, yeast, and enzymes are destroyed at temperatures below 212° F, the temperature at which water boils (except in mountainous regions). Therefore, boiling water processing is sufficient to destroy those agents.

Bacteria, however, are not as easily destroyed. The bacteria, Clostridium botulinum produces a spore that makes a poisonous toxin which causes botulism.

This spore is not destroyed at 212° F. In addition, bacteria thrive on low acids in the absence of air. Therefore, for a safe food product, low-acid foods need to be processed at 240° F. This temperature can only be achieved with a pressure canner."

The rest of the article can be found at:

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/index.php

I believe that pressure canning will likely result in a much softer, mushier pickle.
I like to soak my peppers in a cold salt water brine overnight before pickling with the water canning method, and I usually use a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water with a bit of kosher or sea salt. Maybe some "pickle crisp" would work too but I haven't tried it personally

depends on who long you want to keep them (IMO). a coworker of mine made some pickled jalapenos, carrots, celery and garlic. all he did was pour the boiling pickling solution over the vegetables in a big bowl, covered for a few day and brought it to work. all the vegetables were very crispy still.

POTAWIE said:
I believe that pressure canning will likely result in a much softer, mushier pickle.

peter pepper said:
depends on who long you want to keep them (IMO).

JayT said:
Pickle crisp (food grade calcium chloride) works wonders.

You're right Potawie, unless you use the Pickle crisp as JayT suggests. It helps dramatically with crispness. Since I'm after the flavor and the heat, the crispness doesn't really bother me. Having had food poisoning, I can tell you it's an experience you never want to have. You're first afraid you'll die, then you hope you will to end the suffering. I wouldn't think of long term storage of pickled foods under refrigeration or not, without pressure canning them.

I need a pressure canner.:(

For fridge peppers though, I think you will be fine for a month or 2 without even boiling.(in vinegar and water)

I havent been able to find pickle crisp or Calcium Chloride anywhere just pickling lime so Im giving that a try -- where can I find Calcium Chloride?

POTAWIE said:
Food poisoning is terrible, but botulism is often lethal!
Both times, mine was caused by botulism in something I ate from a roadside stand. The second time, the Doc said I had enough in my stomach to kill 50 people. That one was a burrito. My Girlfriend at the time also had one with the same results. Believe me, you don't ever want to do that. It gives you a very different viewpoint on food safety. :rolleyes:

LUCKYDOG said:
I havent been able to find pickle crisp or Calcium Chloride anywhere just pickling lime so Im giving that a try -- where can I find Calcium Chloride?

Pickling Lime is Calcium Hydroxide and will make them crunchy

Talljess said:
Pickling Lime is Calcium Hydroxide and will make them crunchy

And I know canning is great but pickles SHOULD NOT be canned in this manner, they should be given a boiling bath to prevent the pectin in them from breaking down. To prevent bacterial formations from occuring simply wash and remove the blossom top from the pickle. This end is known to cause microbacterial breakdown.

This is from a pickling web site:

Other fruits and vegetables. Select fresh, tender vegetables and fresh, firm fruits that are free of blemishes. Use as soon as possible after picking. If the fruits or vegetables cannot be used within one or two hours after harvesting, refrigerate without washing or spread in a cool, well-ventilated place. Thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables just before pickling. Remove and discard a 1/16-inch slice from the blossom end of fresh cucumbers. Blossoms may contain an enzyme that causes excessive softening.

I'm wondering if removing a 1/16th of an inch of the blossom end of hot peppers would help preserve their freshness and crispness?

Has anyone tried this?

Haven't been around in a while. I'm back because I can't figure out what to do with my excess peppers. This thread looks useful.

Today I took a bunch of prig ki nus and put them in squeeze bottles with salted vinegar and garlic cloves. I think this will preserve them reasonably well for a while, and I can use the vinegar on food. But I need to start canning or something.

I have a big pile of Tobago seasoning peppers I had to pick before they rotted. I also have a huge Trinidad scorpion bush, plus something called "habanero golds." I'm in big trouble if I don't do something.

Someone mentioned botulism. I've read up on it, and it's not a problem with acidic food. The bacteria can't grow in it.

Steve H Graham said:
Someone mentioned botulism. I've read up on it, and it's not a problem with acidic food. The bacteria can't grow in it.

that's why you use vinegar or lime juice or lemon juice, etc. to control the pH of your product. pH around 3.8-4.2 is a good range.

Philbilly said:
I just opened some of my Biker Billy Jalapeños I pickled about 4 weeks ago. I was very pleased with the taste and they retained every bit of the heat. I am new to pickling and my only complaint is that they were a little soft. I followed a basic recipe that call for about 5 parts vinegar to 1 part water, some salt and sugar etc. I simmered the solution for about 15 minutes then poured it into the sterilized jars with the peppers. I put the lids on and processed the jars for another 10minutes in boiling water, removed and the lids all popped several minutes later. If I cut back or eliminate the extra boiling will the peppers retain some firmness? Is it safe to eliminate this step? Any advice will be appreciated.

Nope.

I've made pepper sauce for decades by just pouring a hot vinegar/salt solution over peppers in a sterilized Mason jar and sealing for several weeks and the peppers still lose almost all texture, but the juice is still great poured over collard greens with cracklin bread. :)

This very basic sauce is never refrigerated after opening, sits on the table with other spices and is fine for many months if it lasts that long. I can't wait for the collards I planted last Friday to reach harvest size. ;)

Not much can live in vinegar.

Since it's brought up, how exactly does pickling lime work? I have some, but have not used it yet. I could not find "pickle crisp" or it's generic, but i did grab the lime. I'm looking for the science behind it and also how you all would use it.

excerpt from googling...

Pickling Lime helps to improve the firmness of pickles by introducing calcium that reinforces the pectin in the vegetable being pickled. In using it, a vegetable such as cucumber is soaked first in water mixed with the pickling Lime, for up to a day, then rinsed thoroughly -- at least 3 times -- before the actual pickling process begins. Be sure to use pickling lime as a soak solution only and to rinse product in several changes of water before proceeding with the recipe.

Back