• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Pickling techniques?

In my decade of attempting to grow peppers I have yet to actually succeed well enough to need to consider long term storage, but the raw optimism in my heart is boundless.

For practice this year I picked up some grocery store jalapenos to try with a random pickling recipe, because you want to get all the fucking up out of the way well before it matters, and they seem to have turned out alright.  Not great, but alright.

Doubling this recipe's components and cutting the actual jalapeno count in half seems to be just about the perfect amount to fit in the canning jars my wife uses - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/quick-pickled-jalapeno-rings/

I assume you guys have probably scienced the crap out of the pickling process, any magic tips on the matter?  Safety and/or flavour?

How long have you guys kept pickled peppers for?  Does it ruin them for a majority of uses?

Does the pickling chemistry pretty much render any bacterial concerns moot?  I've read anywhere from 2 months storage, to years, with no indication if they'll just become a bit squishy or kill my family.

Is the fact that everything floats to the top a concern?  I've been flipping my jars over at random to soak everything equally, but I assume after a few weeks any bad bacteria present will either be long dead or fully established and that'll stop mattering either way.

Anyway, any input's appreciated.  Thanks guys.

I add a quarter teaspoon of calcium chloride to every jar that is pickled in this way. This will keep the crispness of the vegetable. You also want to pickle your vegetables as fresh as possible. As far as the science goes. The brine you're using has enough vinegar in it to bring the ph to safe levels. So long as you are sealing your jars properly either in a pressure canner or a water bath method you should be fine for many months and yes up to years to come.

salsalady said:

DownRiver said:

Yea DR, I tracked it to that page too.> CSU Extension-Making Pickled Peppers at Home and something caught my eye.

Hey SL, there is a recipe there I have a question about:

Hot Peppers Marinated in Oil

3 pounds hot peppers (Jalapenos or other varieties)
7 to 14 cloves garlic
7 tablespoons dried oregano
5 cups vinegar
1 cup water
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt
3/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
Yield: Makes 7 to 8 pints

Note: Improper procedures when canning vegetables in oil can result in risk of botulism. Read the section on oil and follow exactly the recommended procedures and tested recipe below.

Procedure: Wear rubber gloves when handling hot chilies. Do not touch the eyes or face. Wash peppers. Make two small slits in each whole pepper. Pack one or two garlic cloves and one tablespoon oregano into each clean, hot, sterilized pint jar. Pack peppers tightly into jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Combine vinegar, water, salt and oil and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Pour hot solution over peppers, leaving 1-inch headspace. Make sure oil is equally distributed across jars. There should be no more than two tablespoons of oil per pint. Carefully wipe the jar lip so it is free of all oil. Add pretreated lids. Process in boiling water bath for the time specified below for your altitude and jar size. For best flavor, store jars five to six weeks before opening.

There is a "Warning" noted as above:

Oil. Specific problems exist when canning pickled peppers in oil. Use the recommended amount of oil (2 tablespoons per pint) and allow proper headspace. Peppers in oil need additional processing time over recipes not containing oil. If peppers to be home-canned contain oil, take care that no ingredients touch the jar rim or flat lid. The oil tends to soften the natural rubber-based lining found in some brands of home-canning lids and may result in loosening of the seal over time.

So SL, we all know about the infamous "I've been using grammies recipe from the old country all  my life and no one ever contracted botulism!" is usually about long term storage in oil only without refrigeration. My question is twofold, have you ever processed peppers in a similar brine/manner and if you have does the oil impart any flavor? Basically I'm trying to figure out what reason/benefit there is to this hybrid pickling method?

TIA~!!!!

PS And  if anyone else has input it would be greatly appreciated.

NECM, i have not done any recipes with brine and oil. I would think using a flavorful oil would be similar to how oils change the flavors of a vinaigrette.

Again reiterating to follow the approved recipe exactly!

I have used the extension service vinegar brine recipe for a cold pack with excellent results and reviews. Make the brine, let it cool, pour over the veggies in the jars. REFRIGERATE!!! Note- this is not shelf stable as it would be if done in a boiling water bath. It must stay refrigerated. The upside is the chiles...and veggies when making a medley...stay crisp.

Back