• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation pickling

I did some jalapenos recently.

Packed them into a jar, heated equal parts vinegar and water to a simmer and poured it over, then added some pickling spice. Sealed the jar then put the whole thing in boiling water for another 10 minutes. I used one of those jars with the 'safety button' on top so when it cooled it went in and you could tell it was sealed. Then left it for about a month.

What about olive oil? For lack of a better idea, I took the rest of my habs and jalapenos, prepped them, then put them in a nice jar and filled it with some awesomely tasty and fragrant olive oil I had. Got the idea from the grocery store and the oil cured olives and cheeses they sell.

Anyone ever try something like that?

Skydiver said:
What about olive oil? For lack of a better idea, I took the rest of my habs and jalapenos, prepped them, then put them in a nice jar and filled it with some awesomely tasty and fragrant olive oil I had. Got the idea from the grocery store and the oil cured olives and cheeses they sell.

Anyone ever try something like that?

Be careful. The unsafe way to do that is to put anything in the oil that contains water. That would include garlic, lemon peel, fresh peppers, fresh herbs and spices. The oil will not support bacterial growth but the water containing herbs will. Botulism bacteria can grow in this type of environment. Dry the peppers first, then add them to the oil.

Back