• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container *pics* questions about transplanting

So these plants a are about 3 months old. Its 6 inches tall and I've already hardened them off. So I got a couple questions. Firstly, for being 3 months old do they seem to be a little on the smaller size? I figured they be much bigger by now. Secondly, at this size can I transplant them into their final 5 gallon container? Lasty, if I can transplant them now, is it safe to bury them up to their cotyledons? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240413_175144.jpg
    20240413_175144.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240413_175017.jpg
    20240413_175017.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 18
They do look small. Not sure why, but if I were to guess I'd guess they were grown in reduced light and somewhat cool conditions, like perhaps in a window or with weaker/cooler lighting.

There shouldn't be an issue with transplanting them into their final homes, just that soil mix with good drainage and careful watering is of increased importance when putting a young plant into a container so much bigger than it's root ball.

I wouldn't plant up to the cotyledons. I'd keep the soil level the same. The plant shows a little stretch, but the stem looks sturdy enough and planting it a couple inches deeper won't make much of a difference on the final plant.

Good luck with your season!

They do look small. Not sure why, but if I were to guess I'd guess they were grown in reduced light and somewhat cool conditions, like perhaps in a window or with weaker/cooler lighting.

There shouldn't be an issue with transplanting them into their final homes, just that soil mix with good drainage and careful watering is of increased importance when putting a young plant into a container so much bigger than it's root ball.

I wouldn't plant up to the cotyledons. I'd keep the soil level the same. The plant shows a little stretch, but the stem looks sturdy enough and planting it a couple inches deeper won't make much of a difference on the final plant.

Good luck with your season!
Greatly appreciated! But yeah I grew them in my closet using an LED gooseneck grow light. I set the light at level 6 out of 10. So seems you're analysis may be exactly what happened.

Back