• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pimenta Malagueta

Anyone has experience with the pimenta malagueta? Colleague brought back a bag of these peppers for me from Brazil. In the internet there is not much to find. Only that they are capsicum frutescens, have white flowers, have a very fruity taste, are also called coffee pepper because they smell as coffee beans being dried, and when mature, the fruits drop of the plant. High in vit. C, folic acid, beta carotene, magnesium, amino acids.
I tried a few peppers and very interesting taste. I would compare the heat with Tobasco, but feels great and excellent taste. Anyone know more about these chiles?

I just call them malaguetas.
They are very good peppers, I think they are the official pepper of Brazil or something like that. I grew them for years and prefer them over tobasco but for me they just weren't very productive although it could have been the particular strain I had

I tried to grow these last year but couldn't get them past seedling stage, but as I still have a few seeds left they will get another chance in the future!

Potawie, I read at a Brazilian that there is a wild strain, which is not as productive, and the cultivated strains, which have been bred for productivity. The wild strain might be what you had.
I also read at this page that the malagueta prefers a slightly acid soil, pH of 6 - 6.8. Well, we'll see what it gives.

Marcio, what is the typical use of these chiles? For sauce, dried, fresh? Any good recipes?
If you say the brazilian chinense, which type are you then referring too?
I have a few other chiles going, which I think are Brazilian: Pimenta cambuci (baccatum), biquinho (or chupetino, chinense), pimenta cumari (baccatum), dedo de moca (baccatum), and then one pepper which is a chinense but from which I don't know the name. They are shaped very unusually, like a pear, or like a biquinho turned upside down, and are orange. Do you know more about them?

Gvittman with regards to biquinho I grew these last year, small plant with small inverted tear drop pods, I didn't detect any heat but they had a nice apple flavour (not sweet apples) they were a surprise but I enjoyed just picking them straight from plant to mouth very tasty

The malaguetas are a great multi-purpose chile. I like them fresh, powdered, pickled or sauced
I like the mild flavor of the chupetinha but they are so full of seeds, and just too small to remove seeds easily in quantity. I'm presently working on some crosses in attempt to keep the mild flavor and shape but increase the size and decrease seed counts, but its likely going to be a long term project
There are hotter chupetinha type pods. Trinihottie's "nipples" is one, and peppermania claims to have a chupetinha with heat

Well Potawie, I may try the same. I just had a handfull of dried ones, and excellent taste, but the heat is just not there. You eat them like chips.
What are the crosses you are trying? I may give it a try with my scotch bonnets, They have only a few seeds per pod, or none at all.

Back