• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pimentos. Worth growing?

I ended up with a cup full of seeds from some pimento peppers, and just now looked up their heat rating. Not only are they not a very hot pepper, they're pretty much among the lowest heat peppers out there.

Has anybody here grown these before? Does the flavour have any redeeming qualities making it worth it, or should I just scrap them? Is the heat that is there noticeable to anybody? My wife refuses to eat anything hot, but I guess if she was going to start somewhere a 100 Scoville rating pepper would be the way to go.

I grew Sheepnose Pimento a couple years ago. They were basically like red bells, but smaller and slightly thicker skin. Good flavor, but absolutely no heat.

Same here, I use to grow the thick walled peppers for stuffing meat and rice with. They tapered to a point, no lobes to stand it up so I'd cut it in half lengthwise. If you like sweet red bells then grow the pimentos . They're more proflic then the red bells and sweeter. But like musky said, no heat.

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll grow a handful, keep one for myself just to see, then give away whatever else pops to people that think I'm crazy for macing myself recreationally.

Back