• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pinching buds?? Please explain

Hello all! I am brand new to this forum and still somewhat new to growing hot peppers. I have read some people talking about pinching the buds/flowers off. What exactly does this do or not do to the plant? At what time do you pinch them off?...Before it flowers or after? Thanks again!

there is a search button at the top right hand section of the screen. it will come in handy. this subject has been covered lots. its really personal preference. test out both methods on your plants and see which one you like the results

the quick answer is it is just a means to maintain plant growth---pinch off flowers or buds and that will keep the plant from spending energy on making fruit.

Glad to see you here---enjoy the site---it is great with fan-tactic people

As an example, I always start my seedlings indoors 6-8 weeks before I transplant them outdoors. While the plants are indoors, I always pinch off buds. There is not point at all in the plant spending energy to develop the buds. It needs to concentrate on growing the leaves and stems.

Some growers pinch off some of the early buds even if the plant is outside to encourage more plant growth. I don't bother as my season is usually too short.

Back