• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Pinnaroo Hill chili-infused oil

To our friends in Aussie-land: Picked up a bottle of Pinnaroo Hill chili-infused oil and gave it a test spin tonight - quite nice!

It's extra-virgin olive oil infused with "natural chili oil" - the chili type is undefined on the label. I put it into some very lean meat tonight along with other seasonings, before having tried it "plain." It added a nice heat and an interesting flavor. After seeing your post, I poured some onto a white plate, and dipped some white bread into it. The oil is very yellow, with a slight orange-ish tint. I had never tried fatalii before this weekend, and that was a puree of fatalii, vinegar, ascorbic and citric acids (not fresh/raw, so I'm sure the flavor was influenced by the other ingredients rather than pure fatalii flavor.) The flavor of the Pinnaroo oil kind of made me think of that - somewhat mustardy, maybe a bit smokey. On the other hand, I don't think the pepper in the oil is fatalii. The graphic of a pepper on the label isn't fatalii-like, and the pepper pod on the website isn't a fatalii (but nor does it look like the pepper graphic; it looks more like a serrano.) It would seem to me that someone selling fatalii-infused oil would likely make a point of advertising that fact. A good possibility is that it is a combination of peppers rather than a single pepper.

Note, though, I also had citrus in dinner tonight. I didn't think it was a great combo with the lemon/lime/orange, but do think it would go well with tomatoe or other more savory companions.

So while my posting wasn't intended to be a review, per se (actually posted it on a different thread and THP moved it here), and I am not so experienced with such a wide variety of peppers as to say I've done it any justice, I'll pretty much stick with my original assessment - it was nice.

Back