• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Planning for Next Year

Hi all...I have a few plants in pots...nothing really working this year, but not really trying that hard. However, I have a fat-stash of a few hundred red savina seeds, and harvesting some bhut jolokia seeds currently. I should tell you, I harvest all my seeds from store bought peppers, for the time being. I've done it before, and as long as I get them dried, and in the fridge, they seem to work...even though the germination rate is about 25%, and the survivors after that are about 30-40%. But...it's all in the interests of CHEAP.

So...I have a raised pepper garden planned for next season. It will be in an "L" shape, about 3' wide, and 2-3' deep.

Some basics on where this will be:

Dallas Fort Worth area; which generally sees highs around 100F/38C from June through August. I have a unique spot, in which the peppers would receive full sun from dawn until about 2...then partial shade until 5...then full sun until dusk. To me, this seems perfect. Even though the peppers need "full sun", having spotty shade during the hottest few hours of the day seems like a plus. I have plenty of room here...but I don't want the horses eating or stomping them in the pastures, and in the back yard, I don't want the Australian Shepherd eating the young plants, like the 32 scotch bonnet plants he feasted on back in April (retarded bastard). We don't get much rain in the summer, but watering will not be a problem, and we are on well water that is high in Ca and Fe. The natural soil is a sandy silt/loam mix, since we are a few hundred yards from a large lake. We have readily available sand, and horse poop, and I BBQ a lot, so I have lots of ash.

I need to get ideas for:

soil comp
watering frequency and amount
spacing
framing/containment
and "all types of ill shit" <Loc-Dog>

I have a degree in agriculture...and yet I know exactly shit about growing things.

34873_1294138847386_1647752299_705726_3506036_n.jpg

"I ate all your plants, pissed on your tree, flattened the vollyball behind me, then licked my ass."

I have a degree in agriculture...and yet I know exactly shit about growing things.

34873_1294138847386_1647752299_705726_3506036_n.jpg

"I ate all your plants, pissed on your tree, flattened the vollyball behind me, then licked my ass."

Hahaha, that is a very funny post Lunchbox.

I love the look of your dog...just what kind of exotic crazy breed is that thing?

And i found it curious that you have a degree in agriculture, but don't know a lot about growing stuff...

...what was it you specialized in within that field?

dvg

Hahaha, that is a very funny post Lunchbox.

I love the look of your dog...just what kind of exotic crazy breed is that thing?

And i found it curious that you have a degree in agriculture, but don't know a lot about growing stuff...

...what was it you specialized in within that field?

dvg

The dog is called an "Australian Shepherd"...but it's an Americanized breed and name...Aussies generally don't recognize these dogs. I didn't really specialize in anything...I got my degree, and now teach science.

The best solution to the animals is just fence the plants off. There are several places around that sell top soil by the truckload. Ask around at a local nursery or feed store. There are many of us that live close by so you have lots of help!

hey man...I don't think anyones container plants are doing well in the DFW area this year...mine are stressed to the max just trying to stay alive..

If you do build you a bed, I highly recommend plastic mulch with drip tape running underneath it...sure will help in water conservation and lord knows we need that here in the summer...

as far as store-bought Red Savinas...I bet you a dollar to a donut they are just caribbean reds...makes no difference though IMO because I think the caribbean reds taste the same and have the same heat...

good luck to you the rest of the year neighbor

AJ...the may be caribbean reds...all I know, is the place I got them said they were "red habaneros"...I took a bite...and realized immediately that these were WAY hotter than habi's. They don'teven taste anything like habi's. What research I did, came up with looking like a close match to savinas, especially the pod-shape. Regardles...I want MORE OF THEM!!!

I like the caribbean reds/red savinas way much more than a standard hab...the taste is so much more inviting and the heat to me is about 25-50% more than an O Hab

Back