• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

plant labeling

What have you all found to be the best method? I havent had much luck with things lasting through the season....... I have tried Popsicle stick (they rot and ink warps on the wood), plastic label stakes (marker faded away). I use a milwaukee Ink zall pen. It works, but I am still having problems. Do I need to use my label maker? Costly since I am doing a lot of varieties. Anybody ever try the labels that clip around base of plant similar to a zip tie? Looking for help to make sure I dont lose track of what plants or what by mid summer.  

In the past I've used popsicle sticks but they do not last long, I had to replace them twice during the season. By the way, you just reminded me that I ordered a bunch of plastic wrap-around label about a month ago, I should have a look at my mailbox!! Besides, the only flawless tactic I'm aware of is to draw a plan to locate every plant so if you lose a tag, you don't have to wait until harvest to know what the mysterious variety is!

Fatalii_Llama said:
What have you all found to be the best method? I havent had much luck with things lasting through the season....... I have tried Popsicle stick (they rot and ink warps on the wood), plastic label stakes (marker faded away). I use a milwaukee Ink zall pen. It works, but I am still having problems. Do I need to use my label maker? Costly since I am doing a lot of varieties. Anybody ever try the labels that clip around base of plant similar to a zip tie? Looking for help to make sure I dont lose track of what plants or what by mid summer.

There was a recent thread, last summer as I remember, couldn't find that one but I did find this, Labeling varieties.

If I find the newer one I'll post it.....

EDIT: Found it!>Nothing is labeled

CaneDog said:
 ​
Seems like great minds think alike!
 ​

IVqeI9j.jpg

No grease pencil for me though, I used a.....................................

68703.jpg

Fatalii_Llama said:
Perment marker and cheap plastic labels from amazon.  The marker doesn't wash away.

I give up on wooden plant markers that rot.... tags where the sun fades the markers even when using sharpie extreme markers that are supposed to resist fading.
I use copper plant tags....a little more costly but work amazing....the name is sort of embossed right into the copper and last forever  no matter what elements they get exposed to....

AN101-copper-plant-tags-f-19.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

I seen a very effective and economical way to make hundreds of tags from a fellow grower on one of the facebook groups. They mentioned using window blinds cut to what ever length strips needed and since they normally have a matte finish the markers or even said graphite pencil did not come off all season and held up to the hot humid weather. In addition could use a hole puncher and tie some twine if wanting to attach to plant stalk. So if you can grab some like from a thrift shop or have some laying around it might be worth re purposing. I might give it a try this season with a backup diagram spreadsheet just in case.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Seems like great minds think alike!
 ​
No grease pencil for me though, I used a.....................................

How has the sharpie held up to the sun for you over the course of the season?  I've used this combo quite a bit - also the white plastics stakes with Sharpie - and the sun will fade mine over the course of the season to where it's unreadable or even totally gone. I often have to write over them again often as they begin the fade.

catchthebear said:
I would!  I like those wrap around tags...no more bending down and hunting for what's growing where.  

But I'm sure Sharpies are fine too!

Cool, thanks.  I should give the grease pencils a try.   I'd like more "set it and forget it" results than I'm getting with the Sharpie.

CaneDog said:
How has the sharpie held up to the sun for you over the course of the season?  I've used this combo quite a bit - also the white plastics stakes with Sharpie - and the sun will fade mine over the course of the season to where it's unreadable or even totally gone. I often have to write over them again often as they begin the fade.

Cool, thanks.  I should give the grease pencils a try.   I'd like more "set it and forget it" results than I'm getting with the Sharpie.

Well, I don't remember rewriting the tags during the season......... But I do know grease pencils never fade!

holy smokes. I cannot believe how many incredibly helpful replies I have received since last night!!!!  Thank you all so much!! There are SO many great tips and things to try in here. I love so many of these ideas. I plan to just try all the methods and see what works best for me. ill have to buy some items I dont have currently, but thats ok (sounds fun)    ;)  so happy I asked this question! You all rock!

I haven't had issues with the sharpie fading ( usually my tags are under the plant in partial shade? I have experienced the plastic tags getting brittle And breaking. This season I will use plastic tags with a backup paper " legend "

BDBeatz said:
I seen a very effective and economical way to make hundreds of tags from a fellow grower on one of the facebook groups. They mentioned using window blinds cut to what ever length strips needed and since they normally have a matte finish the markers or even said graphite pencil did not come off all season and held up to the hot humid weather. In addition could use a hole puncher and tie some twine if wanting to attach to plant stalk. So if you can grab some like from a thrift shop or have some laying around it might be worth re purposing. I might give it a try this season with a backup diagram spreadsheet just in case.

This.

I've been doing this for several years. Works great.

Back