• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water plant watering question ?

hello,

my seeds sprouted so i moved them to a cup with soil .
so do i water them in drops or what ?

because the cup is more than half way full with soil (more like 3/4)

thanks

you want the soil moist and not sopping wet...I would soak them to begin with then as needed add water...you will get to know the difference between a cup that needs water and one that doesn't....the weight will tell you...here's a little thing you can do to help you out...soak one cup totally in water...have a cup of soil that is dry...feel the weight of each one...that'll get you going...

I asked the same question when I started last year. Check out the thread and hopefully it helps some. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17749-best-way-to-water-seedlings/page__p__377536__fromsearch__1#entry377536

The big thing you need to know is that if you over-water you plants, you will most likely kill them. You also have to remember that even though the soil looks dry on the TOP, there may still be plenty of soil underneath the surface that you cannot see. You will eventually learn the signs of exactly when to water. What I typically will do is wait for the plant to start wilting just a tiny bit. (It will start to droop a little, and the leaves will start to curl.) Once you see that, go ahead and water the soil like AJ said...get the soil MOIST, but not soaking wet.
A good way for a "beginner" to learn the correct watering processes is to put your plants in a clear container. (Clear CUP.) Hope that helps!

OMG I WATERED THEM UNTIL THE SURFACE IS DAMP TO THE TOUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NOTICED MY BEST GROWING PLANT "LEG" IS FALLING NOW THE PLANT LOOKS LIKE ITS LEG IS BROKEN IN HALF (THE TOP OF THE PLANT IS NOW FACING THE DIRT)

:@:@:@:@:@
any ways : how many hours should i re-water them ?

You can squeeze the cup and get some of the water out.

It's also a good idea to have a fan to keep the air moving around the plants. This will strengthen them and help prevent "dampening off" which kills seedlings. It will cause the surface to dry out faster though.

There is no set number of hours between watering, you have to check each plant.

Growing peppers does take some attention at first. Seedlings are the most fragile time of a plants life. If you spend time with them now making sure things are correct you'll reap the benefits later.

Question, how close to a light source do you have them?

Good luck

Biggest lesson I learnt last year was overwatered seedlings react the same as underwatered seedlings ... they die ... now I deliberately underwater, for me, and they mostly live ... even if they *do* think I'm still overwatering them ;)

Â¥

Back