• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Planted my pepper seeds yesterday

Finally put my seeds in the propagator yesterday so now I will have to wait and see how my homemade seed starting mix will do. I mixed 3 parts sphagnum peat moss, 2 parts compost and 2 parts perlite. I hope it works well as it was far cheaper to make then buying MG seed starting mix as I have used in the past.

Good luck! Based on recent results posted here your seeds might take a little longer than normal to sprout in the peat. Is that homemade compost or bagged? Curious to see how it goes.

It is from my compost pile. I took some deep in the pile and sifted it through some screen material. With store bought seed mix most peppers germinate within a week to ten days in the propagator with the lid on it and the heating mat under it.

Its been eight days and only one of the cells in the propagator has sprouted and it looks pathetic. I am going to give them until this coming Saturday and if a bunch haven't come up then I am going to start over and use the MG Seed Starting mix I have always used in the past. I think it was a bad idea making my own seed starting mix with peat, my compost and perlite as it may not be sterile enough for the seeds to thrive in.

My wild tepins took 3 weeks to hook using Jiffy seed starting mix. I'm actually pretty happy with that since the seeds were 2 years old, tepins can take a while to germinate, and there were a couple of cold nights about a week in that probably stalled the process. Cucumber seeds in the same mix shot up in just 2 days so I give it a green thumb up.

Two sickly sprouts after almost 2 weeks so I dumped the soil out of the propagator.
I am not into it this year and will probably just skip growing peppers and tomatoes this season.

Still April is not too late to start tomatoes or a lot of kinds of peppers...

You should go with what you know works, and at least do a few.

I bet you'll be glad you did. :halo:

Back