• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Planting Seeds Day Question

Noob here.........

I am planting my pepper seeds today and initially seeding into the 72 cells per tray units, as shown here: (I hope)

5539712527_ef6e74e42a.jpg

Later, when I have trimmed off the weaker sprouts and focused on the stronger, I can pot up into the larger 3x3x3 pots as shown here:

5540292912_07f9ed917e_z.jpg

I am thinking that, at that time, I can somewhat scoop the entire root ball from the small cell (with a spoon or such) and pot up that entirely into the larger pot.

Does this sound like a realistic noob plan?

You've got a plan :dance: Let them develope in the tray till they get their second set of true leaves (mine had their fourth on the way) You want the root ball to have just filled up the cell, but don't let it get root bound. THEN transplant and you won't have to scoup them out. A little squeeze on the sides of the cell, a gentle hold of the stalk, and out they pop.

Easy peasy :onfire:

+1 for Woody, let them get a good root ball established first. Make sure you use a good seed starter mix, Hoffman's was recommended to me and I had good luck with it, a lot of folks here use Jiffy.

By the way seeds went out in yesterday's mail.

good plan. what types of chiles are you going to grow and when can you move them outside?

Cannot garden plant until about Memorial Day (Zone 5 up here)

Growing

Pepperoncini
Tabasco
Tabago Seasoning
Anaheim
Kung Pao
Long Red Slims
Early Jalapeno
Sweet Banana
Red Crimson
Roja Asado
Carribbean Red
Orange Hab
NuMex 6-4
Datil
Jalmundo
Dorset Naga
Fatalii
Texas Wild Chiltepin
Holland Hot Finger
Bhut Jolokia

+1 for Woody, let them get a good root ball established first. Make sure you use a good seed starter mix, Hoffman's was recommended to me and I had good luck with it, a lot of folks here use Jiffy.

By the way seeds went out in yesterday's mail.

My thanks!!

One other thing I would do is give them a nice drink right before pulling out of original cell. This works well for me. I found that if they are on the tail end of needing water, the dirt tends to fall apart when you try and pull out of cell. If you get them moist before hand, it stays together really well and you don't have a problem.

One other thing I would do is give them a nice drink right before pulling out of original cell. This works well for me. I found that if they are on the tail end of needing water, the dirt tends to fall apart when you try and pull out of cell. If you get them moist before hand, it stays together really well and you don't have a problem.

Helpful tip!
Thanks.

Back