• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Planting straight from pods

Hey Everyone,
So I've got a few questions on propagating seeds.  First off I'm in Singapore that doesn't have seasons, and currently have a birds eye chili plant that always has fruits on it.  some of it's seeds we have literally took straight off the plant and put in a pot and several new plants have started growing.  We recently got our hands on some fresh Carolina Reapers, Ghost Peppers, Trinidads, and Scotch Bonnets. 

1st question: is it absolutely necessary to dry the seeds out before planting them, or can I just try and go straight into germination?  and possibly just put seeds directly into the ground like I did with the Birds Eye?

2nd as far as drying seeds, I live in a very humid place, so for the seeds that I've dried, we have simply put them in the oven at the lowest setting and left them there for 8 hrs.  Is this a huge no no and I just killed all the seeds or can this be done and is there any guidelines to follow?

Almost all places I've read talk about drying the seeds and growing next season, this situation is a bit different.  

BurnBaby said:
1st question: is it absolutely necessary to dry the seeds out before planting them, or can I just try and go straight into germination?  and possibly just put seeds directly into the ground like I did with the Birds Eye?

2nd as far as drying seeds, I live in a very humid place, so for the seeds that I've dried, we have simply put them in the oven at the lowest setting and left them there for 8 hrs.  Is this a huge no no and I just killed all the seeds or can this be done and is there any guidelines to follow?

There was a recent thread that may answer answer your questions.> How soon can you plant dried seeds

Im definitely no expert, but if you look at what happens naturally in nature is a good way to look at things.

If the plants where growing in the wild, the pods on the plant would over ripen, fall off and then start growing. They dont wait a year till the next season so as long as the weather/temps are favorable they will germinate, which in your climate it should be all year round.    

I would go straight into the soil with the seed but make sure you clean off any pepper remnants. In nature, the pod would be eaten by a bird which would digest the pepper and poop out the seed somewhere. Any pepper remnants around the seed may encourage mold growth which you don't want. 

I know some people soak the seed in cold plain tea to mimic the acidic environment of a bird's stomach prior to planting so this may be an option. I think there is some kind of coating around the seed which the tea breaks down. Perhaps drying achieves the same thing?

Siv said:
I would go straight into the soil with the seed but make sure you clean off any pepper remnants. In nature, the pod would be eaten by a bird which would digest the pepper and poop out the seed somewhere. Any pepper remnants around the seed may encourage mold growth which you don't want. 

I know some people soak the seed in cold plain tea to mimic the acidic environment of a bird's stomach prior to planting so this may be an option. I think there is some kind of coating around the seed which the tea breaks down. Perhaps drying achieves the same thing?
The tea just softens the sead coat some. H2O, H2O2,and H2SO4 will even do the same thing. Regular water and tea are just easier than figuring out dilution ratios.

Even seeds that do have coatings, like some basils, don't get washed off in soaking. If a seed has a coating, it'a likely developed it over time to retain moisture to ensure better germination.

Reactions: Siv
ChillnInAus said:
Im definitely no expert, but if you look at what happens naturally in nature is a good way to look at things.

If the plants where growing in the wild, the pods on the plant would over ripen, fall off and then start growing. They dont wait a year till the next season so as long as the weather/temps are favorable they will germinate, which in your climate it should be all year round.    
Or the bats and birds eat them and spread the seeds.

Or maybe he could eat them himself and spread the seeds............. but I don't think your neighbors would like to look over your fence to see you pooing in the garden :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

edit...... sorry

ChillnInAus said:
Or maybe he could eat them himself and spread the seeds............. but I don't think your neighbors would like to look over your fence to see you pooing in the garden :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

edit...... sorry
I dont think our digestive is suited for that but leave the parrots out of this...

Straight answer - you can plant a pepper right into soil, all day every day, and it will grow.  There is no mold, fruit remnant, etc, that is any kind of detriment.  In fact, the types of molds that grow on seeds with fruit remnant, are beneficial, and arguably, should be put to use, wherever possible.
There are several types of peppers that I plant like this, always.  Typically, they are thai type varieties.  I then just separate the plants at a later time.  They have such amazing germination rates and vigor, as compared to my efforts to plant individual seeds.  
There are also several varieties of tomato that I plant the same way.
So yes.  Do it.  Drying seeds is great for storage, but fresh is ALWAYS best.

Back