• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plants during moving...

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
One thing that occurred to me last night was the thought of moving my plants when I move out of this place. I figure the most I'll stay here is going to be about a year. Seeing as I've now committed myself to doing hydroponics, I tried to figure out how to move the plants, should they become big enough. It took me a few minutes to think it out, but here's what I thought...

- Remove the plants, and put them into 1-gallon pots, with a token amount of water to prevent them drying out.
- Drain out the hydroponics system
- Put all the affected items into transport and move them very carefully so as the plants don't tip over
- Fill up hydro system back with water and place plants back in the system

I know it's kinda simplistic, but would this be a pretty good way of moving hydroponic plants without having all that water spill out all over the place, or risking the plants tipping over. Moving the entire system at once would be pretty unwieldy as the main system I have has 10 5-gallon buckets all interconnected via tubing (hence why I put the plants in separate pots so I wouldn't have to move the plants with the buckets).

what about putting the roots into the large ziplock baggies, then line them up in a tote container? (of course you would moisten the inside of the baggie, maybe with a wet paper towel or how about a sponge?).

funny story: not about hydroponic and plant moving but just moving plants, i started my tomatoes way too early and by may the plants where gigantic and leggy, they need more direct sunlight and heat, so i put my container tomato plants into totes and carried them out to my extended edition dodge caravan and drove around the city with the plants in my mobile greenhouse. whenever i pulled over some place and opened the back of the van, people would ask me,"where did you get tomato plants that big?", once i told them my story about my mobile greenhouse, many commented on how ingenious the idea was.

good luck on the move.

Thanks for the info! Like I mentioned, the move definitely isn't happening any time soon, and at the earliest will be a few months to a year down the road, but it's never too early to think about the logistics ;)

Back