• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plants falling over.

Every time it rains, some of my plants fall over. I know I could stake them, but is there any way to strengthen their stems without doing that?

It's not terribly uncommon for people to be too gentle when putting their plants into pots or the ground. If they fall over every time it rains, not just when it storms, this may be your problem. Packing in more soil will help, if so.

I noticed that it's mostly annuums that fall over, with one chinense doing it. I think it's because the annuums are taller. It's odd because they aren't falling over at the base so much as the entire stem bends. Otherwise I'd say put more soil on it and be done with it.

I don't see any shame in staking them.  This is what I did to mine.

fZGy4Lb.jpg

Yea, I use cages for all my pepper plants. I plan on keeping my plants for years, at a couple of bucks each, is well worth the investment. Especially for me, a single plant will make me a few hundred bucks over time.

How is it even possible to have "too much nitrogen" at this point in the season?  :eh:

IMO, most plants will reach a size at which they flop over and become bush-like.  Most of my baccatum have multiple stems with lots of branching, and actually seem to like growing this way, but I've had annum and chinense suffer broken branches when they reach the 'flop point.'  (Breakage is usually triggered by a good wind.)  FWIW, I stake all my tall plants now using anything at hand.  (Old pieces of PVC pipe aren't glamorous, but they're just sturdy enough.)

Back