• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plants first rain

I started my plants late april. I keep them outside, but until a few days ago they have never had any rain. Well it rained pretty hard a few days ago and all, but a few that where under the patio got a nice drench. It's been sunny and hot mid 70's for the last few days, but it's suppose to rain again hard Mon-Tue. Would it be better to just put them under the patio where they will get a small amount of rain or just leave them on the ledge to get drinched again? Seems like the soil is still wet because most of them are in 5 gallon pots.

I'm just trying to keep them going and fruiting as long as possible. So far I have gotten about 10 lbs of fruit total picked from the last 4-5 weeks, but want to keep them going as long as possible.

I've had the skin on my ripe orange habs crack when they were rained on for an entire week. If its easy to put them under cover I would.

I'm still a newbie but in the pepper world :)

I was scared to put mine out in the rain since it hasn't rained in socal for a while. First rains scare me because of the pollution, yes I'm paranoid... lol

I don't know if we're gonna get enough rain this time around to really water your plants again. If you haven't watered them since the rain I say give them more? Your call!

A good thing to watch for - peppers don't like to have their roots sitting in wet soggy soil for any length of time, so I would shield them from more rain if the soil is already quite moist.

Just to share....I collect rain water in a bucket, to help make my indoor plants grow better. After a rain outside, my garden just thrives. I am told there are minerals in the rain that fertilizers can't hold a candle to. Plus it is void of chlorine and fluoride also.

My indoor experiments proved to me, that my rain watered plants performed fabulously, as opposed to ones watered with regular water. I collect it every chance I get, and pray for rain even sometimes.

Never miss out on allowing your plants to get a good thorough shower from the rain - they absolutely love it! Just watch out if you are getting tons and tons of it, that your pots don't get water logged is all I am saying.

: )

P.S. Careful too, that sensitive and frail plants, dont get beaten down and sometimes even destroyed by hard rain!

: O

The next rain in OC will be a good 5 days between and OC rain is probably a half inch a day if that. Just enough to moisten the leaves. However with all the smog in the air and pollutants I don't think there is much good left in the rain by the time it hits the soil. The only good thing about the weather is last night low was 64 so my plants should put out at least another 10 pounds of pods before the grow year is over!

Another great tip...

is to root cuttings in rain water, as opposed to tap water. The cuttings will form roots much faster.

Give the water a thorough stirring with a spoon daily, so you can put air bubbles back into the water and stimulate root growth even more.

I have Bragmansia cuttings that are going crazy growing roots in rain water, as we speak! Brag cuttings I put in regular tap water, fell over wilted, and nearly died! I managed to save a couple when I got them into the rain water.

: )

I actually used a large 40 gallon fish tank to prepare my seedlings water when starting them. The water used is RO water and then treated with rooting super thrive and a few other things to enhance growth. The water is heavily oxygenated and the seedlings are then grown under HID lights in a closet. I actually do quit a bit of research and implore a lot of scientific "best practices" to my growing.

i think put them on the patio. And if they need more water get them out in the rain. Nature will be kinda and take care of them for u.

Back