• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Plant's with identity crisis i think.

Tuesday 20th August:

Today i have started an experiment. 

2. I have planted 3 Dorset Naga seeds in one pot and in another i have panted 3 Naga seeds. The first part of my experiment is to see which germinates the quickest. 
  4. The second part of my experiment is to allow the strongest looking seedling in each pot to grow and to attempt to overwinter the plants.
I do not intent to move plants from the pots they are in now until late winter (February) time. I will be keeping them in the conservatory although for a 6 week period around the winter solstice i will bring them indoors and provide them with several hours of extra light. The light will just be either a standard house light or lamp.

Obstacles:

The first problem i anticipate is from the Naga's as the seeds where taken from only partially ripened pods and i'm not certain the seeds where mature enough. This may or may not be a problem however i have successfully germinated seed's from these (Naga type) pods when not fully ripened in the past. 

The second problem will be any prolonged cold spell during the winter or rare snow cover. If t his happens i will monitor plants and maybe bring them into the house if needed.

My unidentified Naga seeds where sourced from these 2 pods:

Predictions:

I'm expecting my first seeds to germinate in around 14-18 days.**

I think it will be a challenge to overwinter immature plants but i believe it possible.

** In the past i have managed to get Naga seeds fresh from the pods to germinate in as little as 13 days.

I'm so glad someone is finally doing a side-by-side grow of Naga Morich and Dorset Naga...I've wanted to do that for years...

Next year I am doing a side-by-side grow of Naga Morich (THSC) and NagaBrain (a Dorset Naga x Yellow 7 Pot cross from romy6)...I've grown the latter for a couple of years now, and it's one of my favorite peppers, but I've never grown the former. I want a point of reference.

Good luck with your grow! I'm anxious to see how it goes.

windchicken said:
I'm so glad someone is finally doing a side-by-side grow of Naga Morich and Dorset Naga...I've wanted to do that for years...

Next year I am doing a side-by-side grow of Naga Morich (THSC) and NagaBrain (a Dorset Naga x Yellow 7 Pot cross from romy6)...I've grown the latter for a couple of years now, and it's one of my favorite peppers, but I've never grown the former. I want a point of reference.

Good luck with your grow! I'm anxious to see how it goes.

Thank you.

I will be keeping this updated as things progress. I'm a little concerned though with how the over wintering part of immature plant's will fair, (and also the Naga seeds) but that's the whole idea of the experiment :)

I will sow the same plant's again in January regardless of this experiment.

On Friday 6th September a Trinidad scorpion popped up, a second had appeared by Sunday 8th.

Today September 12th a Dorset Naga popped up.

Will post pics at later date.

Thought it best i update this lol.

Okay today's date is 3rd of October.

These are my 2 Trinidad Scorpions.

And the one Dorset Naga i kept for growing.

Update.

All 3 plants survived the winter and the relentless aphid attacks.

c1_zpsc903765f.jpg

and are now already producing buds - anybody from the UK will appreciate just how well developed these plants are considering the time of year :)

c_zpsd1f876fa.jpg

I'm not sure which is which though.

My conclusion to this little experiment was... I'm sure overwintering seedlings again.

My 2 Trinidad Scorpions have pods that neither resemble scorpions or Dorset Naga's, and yet my Dorset Naga has pod's that look like scorpions!!

There should be no confusion as to which is which because i physically removed the seed's from their pod's and potted them up straight away. Regarding the Scorpions the lady whom i purchased them from also grew Bhuts - these where the only strains she sold. Could they be crosses?

The first 2 bunches of pods are from my Scorpions, the last is the Dorset Naga. 

Plant 1.

001_zpsbc57bde7.jpg
002_zps86b4269b.jpg
007_zps9ec5e579.jpg

Plant 2

009_zpsc93bfa3e.jpg
011_zpsca4b7305.jpg
012_zps06533c6d.jpg

These are supposed to be Dorset Naga's :D

015_zpsbc929528.jpg
018_zps970919d7.jpg
019_zps548248bf.jpg