labels Please critique our new label

This is the label for our next sauce (due out sometime in January). Unfortunately the picture has posted a little washed out, the colors are much more vibrant.

There are a few corrections that we can see, but we are interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Thank you for taking the time to help us.

Feisty Parrot

uNq7P77.jpg

FeistyParrot said:
Ok so back to the drawing board..it's a shame as I love that label but we understand what you are trying to tell us and the tartan is going. ..well maybe not all of it ;-)

I think it's a good call. 

And Ann's gut feel was identical to mine - now we're just a couple of busybodies on the internet playing Nosey Parker of course, but I try to wear my consumer hot sauce buyer's hat (which is easy since I'm still a guy who goes out and shops for hot sauce) - and my "at a glance" reaction was "what the heck is Scottish sauce gonna taste like?" - and I'm familiar with Scotch Bonnets. But having tried so many crazy experimental sauces over the years I know people come up with all kinda funky recipes.

They say the label "speaks" to the customer. From outward appearance the tartan background and the kilt-wearing parrot (while adorable) gives off much more of the "this is a Scottish flavored sauce" than "this is a Scottish-themed label on a relatively normal hot sauce" ("normal" being subjective of course. ;) )

I think if you kept the feisty/angry/drunken/"I'm Scottish and lookin fer a fight!" parrot to represent this particular sauce intensity you'd be ok - that fits your product line themes. It's really the tartan background that creates the overall impression here.

And this way it would open the door to many other "themed" labels. Pirate parrot, little orphan annie parrot, Obama parrot, etc.  Kidding about the specific types, but you get my meaning. 

The parrot in the kilt is cool - I have some Scottish friends and they can be quite ornery, to say the least (mostly when whiskey is around). lol  So hopefully you can find a way to use that little dude without making people think of haggis in a bottle. 
:cheers: 

The poor man who designs our labels is going to officially hate me! Still he is a talented genius and hopefully together we can come up with something. Clearly will be uploading the next version at some point. The shame is, we were so trying to get this sauce entered into Zest Fest, but sometimes things are just not meant to be :cry:

ENTER IT!!!!  The SAUCE is complete, it's just the label that's not in final version.  Even if you have to get a color copy printed at the local office supply store for the bottles that get shipped to the contest, as long as the label has all the correct information on it, it's legal to enter.  People change labels all the time.  You're not getting judged on the label (unless you're entering it into the marketing category...). 
Use the above label if you have to.  Have your design guy size it to get 4-up on a page and color print it.  If you or he doesn't have a color printer, save it as a PDF, put it on a thumbdrive and take it to any place that does color printing.  Do one copy on full-page label stock, cut them out...off you go! 

oh yea... what ^^^ said.... as long as it's a legally produced sauce and is for sale somewhere (web or in a store) at the time of the contest.   

You've got SB peppers, lime, and tequila in your sauce. This all says Caribbean (with the east side of the Yucatan being on the Caribbean, for the tequila tie-in). The pepper is known throughout the Caribbean.

I have to agree with label confusion here (just adding more to my first comment). Just because everyone else does Caribbean doesn't mean you shouldn't, there's a reason for it. Especially with your ingredients. But you don't have to. It can be more generic.

I have no issue with the tam o' shanter, after all, that's the "bonnet" the pepper is named after. But you don't need to go full on Scotch. See, the bagpipes and garb are a little too much as the pepper has nothing to do with Scotland... only the shape of the cap worn. So that should be the only tie-in. Do Caribbean with the tam o' shanter on the parrot, as a nod to the pepper's origin of name. It will show you know your stuff, chiliheads will totally get it. But don't go Scotch overload, that actually looks like you don't know your stuff. Like you think it's from Scotland.

Hope that helps.

Oh shit, just noticed you gave him a red beard too. :lol:

FeistyParrot said:
It's ok, we've gone back to the drawing board and are re-doing the whole thing...in a flash of inspiration we will use the label for something different in the future ;-)

Spicy haggis? 
:woohoo: 
(sorry, just playing around - I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be - was attempting to add levity)

I may be the minority here, but I liked the label. I would have gone with a different background, even plain white over the plaid. I liked the parrot with Scottish clothing/bagpipes though. With out the plaid background it wouldn't seem so much like a scottish style sauce, in my opinion it would just seem like a clever way to show the scotch in scotch bonnet.

Working in retail has taught me one thing though, customers are absolutely brain dead. So I can understand what other people pointed out about customer confusion

I may be the minority here, but I liked the label. I would have gone with a different background, even plain white over the plaid. I liked the parrot with Scottish clothing/bagpipes though. With out the plaid background it wouldn't seem so much like a scottish style sauce, in my opinion it would just seem like a clever way to show the scotch in scotch bonnet.

As far as I see it, no-one disliked the label...I mean how could they it's an amazing label! What they are saying is that it's the wrong concept for a scotch bonnet caribbean style sauce and all they are trying to do is help stop us making a costly mistake...Fair enough, we have time to change the concept and this label can and will be used in the future, perhaps a spicy Haggis ;-)

Parrot dressed as pirate... pirate hat, eye patch... bottle of liquor in one wing with XXX on it. Booze. Yours is tequila, not rum, but XXX conveys liquor... Caribbean sauce with scotch bonnets and booze. Island, treasure chest, all could work.

One might expect rum, but just throwing ideas out there.

A pirate parrot is too good to pass up, if not for this one! ;)

You could also go the Mexican route, a "Tequila Lime" sauce... not a "Scotch Bonnet" sauce. But still use the peppers.

Good luck!

Hi All

This is our new label concept, we are interested in any thoughts/suggestions.

We did change the name as we feel that the previous name suits the Scottish label better and we plan on using this at a later date.

There are a few revisions we are adding (see below), the nutritional/ blurb etc. still needs to be added and the feather scale will be smaller, but we wanted to get some feedback before we finalize.

- The wood will become a sandy beach
- The Umbrella will be purple
- It will read Sizzlin' Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
- The tail will be behind the gate
- The TM will be straightened

Thank you all for your help!

Feisty Parrot

Spoilt Rotten Label.jpg

I like the graphics, but I'm not so sure about the name. Spoiled and rotten are both words that are not exactly appetizing on a food product, and would probably turn me away from buying it. I'm also not getting how the name goes with the theme.

Is "Spoilt" a word?  or is it deliberate like "I dare you Stupit"?

I agree with the words not being generally appetizing.  Some product lines are built on gross-evil-disgusting sauce titles, but your product line doesn't support that.  How about "Sizzlin' Sunshine" in the orange oval?  Also the oval needs to be re-drawn so the letters on the left are within the outline, scootch the crab up a bit to follow the outline. 

Like the tropical look, drink, blue sky, and make the tan a beach...nice looking label. 

edit- so the parrot is spoilt?  I gotta go back and look at your other labels to refresh my memory.
I'm not sure if there's more but here's 3 labels.  Some comments when looking at all 3 together.

All 3 have letters on top of the oval outline. 
There are 2 "Ghost & Scorpion Pepper" sauces, one's hotter.  Might be confusing to customers to have the same chile description, especially if they are searching online not seeing the labels, maybe reverse the chile order for one of them.
The Tame-Feisty-Savage indicators are not consistently placed on the feather. 

ZhNXNpX.jpg

azBpZD3.jpg

Spoilt is British English, over here we say spoiled rotten, they say spoilt rotten.

Bring back the kilt, it all makes sense now! :lol: j/k.

I think you need a good name, the graphics and logo look good, just minor tweaking. Let me think on it for a bit.

Okay how about the theme of he's escaped from his cage, and is on his tropical island chillin' without a care... add a broken cage door... just have the artist bust that door up with some bends and a couple broken rungs.

Call it:
Jailbird

He can have jail striped shorts but everything else can be the same. :)

Alternate:

Fugitive Parrot

But Jailbird is a winner!

The Hot Pepper said:
Spoilt is British English, over here we say spoiled rotten, they say spoilt rotten.

Bring back the kilt, it all makes sense now! :lol: j//k.
Ha ha...I was just about to come clean and you guessed our secret! Both of us mostly grew up and were educated in England and sometimes our sayings/phrases don't translate....we do always check with friends/ colleagues but I'm guessing they are getting used to our quirks!

The names of our sauces are based upon characteristics of the parrots or things we/ other people call them. For example Indigo has been called a savage little beast on more than one occasion!

We will have a think about the name, product confusion is the last thing we want...although we talk funny (and I miss my family), we do choose to live in America, Feisty Parrot is an American company, supporting local businesses, and we are quite passionate about keeping it so whilst trying to intgrate our personalities....so apart from the name (and if there are any bird people, please feel free to make name suggestions) how is the rest of the label looking?

The feather scale being evened out is also on our list of revisions.

Cheers!

I figured you were doing personality traits, especially with this one, but soon you will run out of traits, and you should also consider what the names mean to others, as well as what they say about the sauce. Savage Beast is perfect, see, we had no idea it was a pet name for your bird because it sounds like a really hot sauce... and the animal theme is carried through as if the parrot is a savage beast. Spoiled Rotten doesn't work that way. Demented Canary is one I was also puzzled about since it shows a parrot. A pet name explains that... but you may need some stories on the side panel if you are going this route. :)

The Jailbird theme could bring in a pirate look for the parrot.  and + to what THP just said.

One more graphic suggestion- make the oval slightly different for each label, the tropical one could be a surfboard. 

When looking at the 3 just now, I also didn't get the Parrot name, Parrot image and "canary" sauce name.   

I'll support whichever way you go. There's so many sauces with personal names you don't get, etc... but if you can find a connecting theme that everyone will understand, it will have much more commercial appeal. 

Back