Please dont laugh, crazy question, maybe?

Hey guys this is my first year growing anything.  I have 9 tomato plants and 12 pepper plants.  I have them all planted into walmart bags.  Im getting impatient with my plants. I sit around just trying to think of something to do to them lol.  Anyways I was thinking about going down to my local bait store and purchasing some nightcrawlers.  I was thinking about adding a nightcrawler to each of my plants soil.  Is this crazy.  Would it be beneficial at all.  Has anyone ever done this?

describe these walmart bags, this might be a place to start. is there any drainage at all or are you literally using a grocery bag? haha

Theyre the reusable bags stores sell to help the environment by cutting down on the amount of plastic bags being used.  I dont have any problems with my soil.  My soil and the bags drain well.  Im more or less just curious about trying it.  Sort of wanting to experiment.

I grew some peppadew peppers in those walmart bags last year. I didn't have any problems and my plants did really well.I fertilized with fish emulsion and all was well.

rlslmshdy said:
Theyre the reusable bags stores sell to help the environment by cutting down on the amount of plastic bags being used.  I dont have any problems with my soil.  My soil and the bags drain well.  Im more or less just curious about trying it.  Sort of wanting to experiment.
Google rain gutter grow or similar on Youtube and check out crazy Larry ...

They rock out those bags w/ simple bottom feed systems based on rain gutters and/or kiddie pools w/ float valve's ...

You said it was your first year growing anything, so know this: Peppers are slow growing plants. Maybe that's what's causing it.

cruzzfish said:
You said it was your first year growing anything, so know this: Peppers are slow growing plants. Maybe that's what's causing it.

I didnt mean to give the wrong impression.  Everything is growing great thanks to you guys.  I would have never known not to use miracle grow soil.  Im made my own soil blend.  Tomatoes are growing like crazy and my peppers are starting to explode with new growth as well.  I was thinking out loud about the worms and curious.  Plus I love to experiment.  But yeah thanks to the info on this forum everything is really growing well.

Here is something to keep in mind, especially #11:

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <50F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Patience is one of the top requirements for being a grower!

Just ordered a shade cloth.  I ordered 40% shade is that good? I live in Southwest Virginia 15 minutes from Va Tech. Summer temps will be in the 90's most of the summer.

I throw worms in my pots and grow bags. I don't know if it really helps but I figure that it can't hurt. I've never had any issues with them baking in the sun. I always see worms when I dig around in the soil and when I pull the plants in the fall.

BigB said:
describe these walmart bags, this might be a place to start. is there any drainage at all or are you literally using a grocery bag? haha

Bro, don't be dissin' da Wallybags!  ;)

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38510-all-you-need-to-know-about-wally-bags/

Wally.jpg

I feel you on how hard it is to wait for hot peppers to grow and produce. I'm sure everyone here is... If your itching to help them out I would look into making vermicompost tea. It's a fun project that will keep you busy and your peppers and tomatoes will love it!!! Try the aerated compost tea. Enjoy!!!

Back