Please help. FISH.

I have tried to like fish but at best I only tolerate tilapia. What types of fish should I try, recipes and prep? I would also like to enjoy mussels, lobster...

Right now the only seafood I enjoy is shrimp so I need no help with that. Thanks.

What do you want to know? I just sauteed some halibut in Drunken Chef. Soooo easy. Cut it to the size you like, coat with flour, and put in a skillet or saute pan with butter/olive oil on medium heat. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Just before the fish is done (about 3/4 done) take the fish out and plate. Crank the heat on the liquid left in the pan and reduce it down a bit and pour over the fish. Done. Many think that because its fish, tilapia is good for you. aue contraire.....it's on par with bacon! I much prefer snapper, cod, pollock, halibut and of course the absolute king of healthy fish..........SALMON!! Enjoy!

I am trying to learn to like fish. Since the only one I can barely stand is tilapia, I am trying to figure how to start liking seafood other than just shrimp and tilapia. I can barely handle cooked tilapia so sushi is out of the question!

Hey Pi,

halibut is a good one to try. It has firm flesh that cooks well and doesn't turn to mush........unless the cook REALLY screws up. We like halibut and of course, salmon.

TB's directions are right there. I wouldn't even bother with the de-glazing with wine. Just season the halibut with S&P, add a little garlic to the olive oil/butter, toss in the halibut and let 'er rip.

The ahi I just did for the throwdown was sushi-grade ahi tuna. It cost something like $12.98/pound (OUCH! I kinda "forgot" to mention that to Salsadude...Sssshhhhhh) but it was delicious! It is also a firm flesh fish and it did not have any fish odor from cooking. I think that was the first time I've ever cooked fish in the house and not had the fish smell in the kitchen the next day.

Funny thing- the kid swears he hates fish, but his favorite sandwich is tuna fish! Go Figure!

Why is sushi out of the question? It tastes fresher than cooked. You feel like you are eating something that is just pure healthy, and it tastes good.

Yeah PIO, if you don't like fish taste, I second the halibut suggestion. Nice meat, but pretty much tasteless IMO. Easy to flavor.

Maybe try some white sea bass if you ever see it in your area. Pretty mild. You could cook it like tilapia.

Try monkish. It's a mild delicate fish that some say tastes like lobster or even chicken. It's a meaty flesh, and their diet is crustaceans, hence the flavor.

Also check out grouper, which has some of the same qualities, but grouper is a much better fish in my opinion.

wahoo, mahi mahi, white perch, grouper, snapper...all great white flesh fish that are good to build off of as far as taste.....personally, an easy and delicious one is blackened grouper.

How about Swordfish or Tuna steaks on the grill dont need much in terms of seasoning either just S &P and some olive oil

i think swordfish or tuna would be a good place to start.. you can marinate it in a number of things... (i usually use soy, chilli, garlic, ginger and lemon) and you dont notice that fishy taste so much... give that a go and you'll love it ;)

yep with the tuna....you just want it to see the flame...rare is good. Tuna is one of those meats often over cooked (like shrimp) and not much good when it is.

Personally I'd stay away from the fish that have been seriously overfished. Orange roughy and swordfish are at the top of the list. Seabass ain't far behind. There are many chefs over the years that refuse to buy and serve these fish. Go for the ones that stocks are still relatively stable.

There's some good eats on this one...And its population is not under threat

scary-fish.jpg

texas blues said:
Personally I'd stay away from the fish that have been seriously overfished. Orange roughy and swordfish are at the top of the list. Seabass ain't far behind. There are many chefs over the years that refuse to buy and serve these fish. Go for the ones that stocks are still relatively stable.

True but most fish mongers in my area carry fresh caught -- well honestly I am 45min from the ocean so I guess its different here. From boat to plate could honestly be a few hours. However grocery store frozen fresh can be funky and ethically unappealing. Yellowfin is a nice steak as well

texas blues said:

And do we base this off of what NOAA tells us or what the commercial/charter captains that routinely fish these species every day tell us? ;)....a big difference....remember lobbyist and agendas...i know of a couple prime examples right now

There are still plenty of swords....albeit maybe not the size class that they once were, but plenty. The by catch hurts the swordfish image.

Plenty of bluefin tuna....best it has been in years off of NC coast. Who wants a giant anyway? Footballs to 300lbers were thick off the coast from Jan to last month....meaning the giants are still out there breeding like mad.

Sea bass....Chilean? Idk?

Grouper....ask anybody that goes to the deep regularly....maybe not in Florida anymore....the Goliaths gotta eat something....why not a 20lber?....lift the moritorium off of the goliaths....maybe on a draw tag or over the counter tag per year basis....your snappers and smaller species of grouper will rebound. Know of a couple of different people that have fished Florida of recent years and at times they couldnt get their catch up before a goliath got em. Special interest groups are seeking closures to several reefs/wrecks for no apparent SCIENTIFIC reason...what better way to keep boat traffic out of an area than to shut down the primary reason for being there....grouper and sea bass fishing....we'll just close it in the name of the interest of the fishery. Helps to know people in the know on this stuff and to see what the fisheries are really like before coming to conclusions on their status.

Have the fisheries decreased....most certainly on a lot of things. With the exception of menhaden, and the species reliant on them (a lot) in VA and NC...I can't think of anything that is over fished beyond reason, other than large sharks. The effects of finning are taking their toll on the shellfish. Rays/skates eat shellfish, sharks eat rays, the Asian countries like their shark fin soup. No LARGE sharks, no shellfish. There are plenty, but not enough to keep the rays and skates in check. Finning is wsteful in terms of what is taken from the resources versus what is used.

You can have your talapia and farm raised catfish....after Ive seen how some and I stressed some talapia are raised...Ill pass. I generally don't eat anything I don't catch anyway. A waste of money for me when I have access to fresh fish.

Sorry TB...didnt mean to sound as if I were jumping your ass, just like to set the record straight from what NOAA tells us versus what is REALLY out there from the guys that use the fishery every day. Theyre smart, not like in decades gone by when they rape it til it's gone. They know if not properly managed, it will be gone, along with their livelyhood. If the guys I know that commercial fish and charter captains say it's alright, I have no reason not to trust them.

JustinNC said:
And do we base this off of what NOAA tells us or what the commercial/charter captains that routinely fish these species every day tell us? ;)....a big difference....remember lobbyist and agendas...i know of a couple prime examples right now

Considering that the fishermen would be out of a job if they weren't allowed to fish, I know who I don't trust... Yes, agendas;)

Back