• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Please help ID this pepper-sucking garden pest

Stink bug? Looks kinda like one but not exactly the same as they looked last year. hmm. Very destructive pest. ID please

028-4.jpg

its definitely some sort of shield bug...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&biw=763&bih=403&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=%22shield+bug%22s+of+virginia&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

shield bugs feed on plant sap....

Looks like a stink bug Mega. Is it eating your plants?
There are all types of those pest

Oh yes, indeed. About 1/3 of my Chinense pods have been damaged or destroyed this year - with white, decolored spots where the bugs suck out the juices. It started a month ago, with an occasional white spot on an occasional pod; now, I go out in the morning and pull off handfulls of pods covered stem to blossom end in white spots.

I am now sure this is a stink bug, but am trying to nail down the exact type. It is different looking than the traditional Virginia stink bug, so that is quite worrisome, because I'm sure the traditionalist stink bugs will make their visit soon enough. This strain seems to greatly prefer habaneros, and in fact has left most of my non-habs completely untouched, whereas the usual stink bug invaders in this area only like sweeter, thick flesh peppers.

Damn Mega! See if some insecticide soap will help. This year iv'e been pretty lucky although i have had grasshopers chomping on my naga's.

confirmed by the friendly local coop extension lady: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, late nymph stage.

Ugh.

There is no easy solution to stink bug infestation; they are tough, resiliant survivors. But countermeasures will be implemented this afternoon. I have an idea....and will be posting pics of my experimental solution later.

I had the same infestation, and used a small amount of dish soap with water in a spray bottle. They fall right off the plant, but they've been returning. Looking forward to hearing what works for you.

Back