• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please help, these aren't looking healthy, infact terrible :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EwuCG8NO44

There's a short video of what they look like. I got some help from people before when this started and they said overwatering. I lessened the water greatly, and now I think it's a lack of sunlight maybe? I've had them under artificial lighting for the longest time day and night, but now since it's been getting warmer, I've sat them outside and let them have real sunlight and then let them sit inside the house in the dark. I keep it about 73 degrees in the house and average weather here's been in the 70's or so...

Please help :(

They look exactly like my peppers of last year after a few weeks in my father's hands ...

I would also say it's over-watering. The yellow leaves, the shrinking, all the symptoms to me. By over-watering I mean giving more than 4 oz of water a week for pots that size.

I can also be the transition from inside to outside, where the sun is more hardcore for the plants. But I doubt that, because usually leaves gets sunburns which doesn't look like this. Were they healthy before when they were inside ?

What kind of soil are you using ?

Normally with :
- good soil
- lot of light
- a glass of water every week

peppers grow like weeds ...

But I'm new to pepper growing, lot lets hear the opinion of the gurus.

Looks like you might be able to nurse a couple of em back but no guarantees. Search "hardening off" on the search bar and there is tons of info. JMO mean just my opinion.

Sun Burn @about 0:52 you can really see it good. He even says "white-ish"

Also what soil is that? Stressed plants will take longer to harden off. Or maybe it started as O-Watering and then to combat that you stuck them in the sun?

Good news about Sunburn, plants can come back if caught and placed in a shaded area. Unless its crispy... then its way dead.

What these guys said.. you roasted them.

Plants that small are vulnerable anyway. The last thing you want to do is expose them to direct sun if they haven't been hardened off properly. I'm not sure that is even possible at such a nascent stage... if you germinated them indoors, there is no way I would be taking them into prolonged direct sunlight being so young.

Also, when in doubt.. listen to what Cayennemist says.. I get the impression he's done this before.

I know many growers-from-seed get anxious about getting their plants to produce quickly, but . . . . hardening off plants is one step that does take time. Here in 5b, our plants have to first be acclimated to the difference in temperature from the house, and then be introduced to the more intense sunshine. A couple hours a day in the shade to start with on the first day- then 4 hours the next day and so on. Mine aren't put in total sunshine until they've been outside about a week, and they've been outside overnight.

StephenG - I like your spoon markers! Try finding some that aren't clear as it's much easier to read when the plants are in the ground.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll put them in the window here at the house and let them sit there for a while and then maybe when it warms up (it's supposed to get to about freezing tonight... Jeeze..) I'll take them out for an hour a day for 3 days, then 2 hours for 3 days, then 4 hours for 3 days, maybe? Or are there better ideas for hardening off?

some look like they may be salvage-able; as the guys on here already said, it looks like a combo of overwatering and baking them in the sun. temp in the house and under the lights can be totally different... i keep a thermometer under the light and the radiant heat can make it 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the room or more depending on the light. it's like when you're outside in full sun and there is no breeze; it can feel a lot hotter than it is. get a small fan on them for a few hours a day and don't soak the soil, just enough to keep them moist. when you do move them outside again, put them under an umbrella or in a shady location and over the period of a week or so slowly expose them to more light. if it's not very breezy then put a small fan on them outdoors as well. they will be stunted and grow slowly if they come back; just be patient.

Back