• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Please help - what is this crap on my leaves??

Hi guys

My indoor DWC plants are all doing well, starting to tie up pods, I just noticed this on my Beni Highlands plant. No other plants have it. Any suggestions on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

The first pic sort of looks like edema, but the other ones look a lot worse.

20160414_065822_1.jpg

20160414_065840_1.jpg

And here it's like it's sitting in the middle of the leaves (don't worry about the crap on top of the leaves in the background, that's saw dust that held eggs of predatory mites I used to get rid of broad mites a while ago, worked really well too):

20160414_065946_1.jpg

It's edema. It's caused by overwatering or too much humidity. Put a fan on your plants to circulate air and help remove some of that evapotranspirational humidity. The edema you see won't go away, but it will stop forming on new leaves.
     Good luck!

Thanks so much fellas, I've never seen edema in that quantity before, Ive had it plenty in the past but this is quite a lot more. And yup you're right, the humidity in the greenhouse has been very high lately, my meter has been stuck at 99% for a couple of days now.

I do have a small fan but looks like it isn't enough. I'll get a bigger fan in when I get back from work.

What I think I might try actually is move my heater a bit further from the wall closer to the middle of the greenhouse (see pic below, the big panel heater in the middle) and then put a fan behind it so it blows the air above the heater and spreads it throughout the greenhouse. That should hopefully reduce the humidity.
GOPR0303.jpg

Thanks again for such quick replies. Pepper people are bloody great.

SentencedToBurn said:
Thanks so much fellas, I've never seen edema in that quantity before, Ive had it plenty in the past but this is quite a lot more. And yup you're right, the humidity in the greenhouse has been very high lately, my meter has been stuck at 99% for a couple of days now.

I do have a small fan but looks like it isn't enough. I'll get a bigger fan in when I get back from work.

What I think I might try actually is move my heater a bit further from the wall closer to the middle of the greenhouse (see pic below, the big panel heater in the middle) and then put a fan behind it so it blows the air above the heater and spreads it throughout the greenhouse. That should hopefully reduce the humidity.

Wow great setup!

Thanks guys, its only 6' by 8' so I just tried working out how to optimise the space to get the most plants in there and this seemed like the only way to fit 10 plants in there and hopefully still be able to get through it once they grow to full size.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Unless the fan is exhausting to the exterior, it won't make a difference, will it?

I mean it's just going to be recirculating humid air.

Yeah I think you're right, the only thing that I thought that might help is placing the fan just above the panel heater, so it moves the warm air around which should hopefully reduce the humidity.

Although it seems that the cover that I made for the temp/humidity sensor (so it wouldn't heat up from the sun and give me false temperature reading) may be trapping some moisture, so it's just sitting at 99.9%. I'll move the sensor behind one of the pots today and will remove the cover and will hopefully get the accurate humidity reading to see if the fan worked or not.

greenhouse.png

Do you think the sensor might be faulty. That thing's pegged! Does it feel like 100% humidity in there? Is there condensation constantly dripping off things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS1RIyR6uW8

haha yeah nah it is all covered with condensation, like the inside of the roof is all dripping, etc. So I'd say it'd be close to that in reality, however when I went in there this morning before work it wasnt as bad.

I have 2 spare sensors so if removing the cover and moving the sensor doesnt work I'll replace it and will see how it goes.

Back