• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Please Identify these 2 Herbs

Both of these overwintered, but I don't know what they are.  I think the first pic is Basil, but I have no idea what the second one is.  From last year, I remember it wasn't very tasty:

Also, check out this awesome Spearmint that comes back every year!

If in doubt, I'd say crush a leaf and smell it... most herbs taste like what they smell like. 2nd pic looks like Oregano.

first one may be marjoram... no way a basil overwinters outdoors in NY. if it is marjoram it probably smells like a milder version of the oregano.

globe basil looks similar to that. Not sweet basil, though. It's too big for thyme. I'd say marjoram.

The second one is definatedly oregano, but it is really crappy oregano. It has no smell and no taste. I don't know what Majoram is, but the herb in the first pic has a very strong smell to it. I originally thought it was basil like, but I have not had any fresh herbs since last summer, so I may have gotten it wrong.

basil is one of the least cold tolerant plants people commonly grow. the OP is in New York and the plant in question overwintered.- it ain't basil.

I don't know if you meant over-wintered or just came back from last year? Both of those look like new sprouts as in it went to seed last year and came back this spring. None of the herbs mentioned here would "over-winter" except in a climate with only a few minor frosts a year.

Regarding both herbs in question, I meant that they came back from last year. Usually, everything dies after the winter, and I need to buy new plants or start from seeds. I arrived at the family garden Thursday night, and to my surprise, I found two plants in the area where I plant herbs. I have confirmed that the herb from the second picture is indeed oregano. My brother used some to help season potatoes, and the taste was recognizable.

I am still not 100% sure what the herb from the first picture is. I put some on my hamburger last night and to my disapointment, it didn't add any flavor.

To add to the evidence, the oregano from last summer was still around New Year's Day, but all of the herbs had died off.

If you have some helpful farmers at a farmers market, take some there and ask around.  Ask the "old gardener down the street", maybe someone who's a chef or sous chef.....Might even be able to figure it out by comparing the fresh herb with dried herbs in the pantry.

Last resort......discretely...sniff the packets of herbs at the grocery store to see if you can get a hit.  If they ask you what you're doing, say you are a DEA Chef in Training.  :lol: 

I agree with Rick, if you bought the greens to use in your food then you should have an idea what the scent or the bite taste like. Rub the leaves between your fingers or taste.
Are any of the plants traveling and popping up elsewhere ? Did you plant any type of mint ? 

Ají hombre said:
1st one looks exactly like my Italian oregano. 
That could make sense, as I would have planted oregano next to oregano.

PIC 1 said:
I agree with Rick, if you bought the greens to use in your food then you should have an idea what the scent or the bite taste like. Rub the leaves between your fingers or taste.
Are any of the plants traveling and popping up elsewhere ? Did you plant any type of mint ? 
This isn't mint.  We haven't planted mint since we discovered it was invasive. 

Back