• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Please identify this disease (Pic inside: leaves curling up)

Hello,

I've been trying to grow some peppers but still couldn't find the proper way of doing it.

Right now I'm having issues with one of the plants I used to have in an hydroponics system. The leaves all look healthy and green green but some of them are starting to curl toward the top. This is how all my problems start in my hydroponics system (the only way of temporarily fixing it is flushing the system and cleaning the roots) but I have this pepper plant using regular soil.

What could be the cause to this?

IMG_20130310_131102.jpg

It can't be something related to fertilization since I've just fed it with water but I have now Idea of what is happening. Could it be related to the light system (a 250W HPS light bulb pretty worn running 12/12) ?

I can't really tell you because I don't do hydro yet. This might help tho.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28838-some-plants-getting-upward-leaf-curl-thread-solvedno-longer-a-problem/#entry786856

good luck.

,Vegas

What are the problems you had before when the leaf curl started?

When did you replant it and how long ago did you do all of the trimming?

I assume that when you say "trimming" you are talking about those naked branches... I never trimmed those ...they have been like that for two months and they simply started to loose the leaves and look like that. It was transplanted from the hydroponics system a week ago and at that time all the leaves were crippled and curled (I really thought that the plant was going to die).

I thought that an hydroponics system would be easier .... and it was for the first three weeks. Everything seemed to work just fine, all the plants were growing fast as hell but after that initial period all the plants started to have leaves curling up. After a week or two not only the leaves were all crippled but also appeared black spots and the color started to change from a strong green to a clear yellowish color.

I could temporarily stop this issues if i flushed the system... the green color would come back to the leaves but after some days it would happen again. I should have paid attention to some details because the greenish look of perlite would tell me that I was having algae problems ... oh well we learn with mistakes.

You can see the difference between the two plants ... one was transplanted from the hydroponics system a week ago and the other one was two days ago.

In here you can see the the old plants still in the hydroponics system recovering after the last flush (a week ago)... like I said the green color is returning

I've seen a lot of people suggesting that this may be related to excess of humidity or heat so lifted the HPS light bulb almost a meter above the plants and turned on a fan to keep the air circulating.

I think I'm going to give up on hydroponics at least until I can afford to buy proper stuff but in the meantime I need to sort things out with regular soil culture... :-\

I've never done hydro, so I might be dead wrong, but when I see that with my plants it has always been calcium difficiancy. Calcium supplements have always done the trick. But once again, I'm a soil guy.

I've never done hydro either so take this with a grain of salt--or two. Most of the time when hydro growers have problems it's a nutrient or pH problem. Wish I could provide more.

Back