• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plugging a surge protector into a timer

My timer (Simple mechanical one with a dial and switches) is currently plugged into a surge protector which is in a wall outlet. The timer has 2 outlets. Both are in use and I am planing on getting some more lights. I can hack this out by plugging another surge protector into one of the timer outlets and putting one of the current lights and the new ones into the second surge protector.

Is there anything unsafe about this? It is no big deal for me to buy another timer, but I already have another surge protector.

Why don't you just get a new surge protector with more outlets and replace the existing surge protector with it?

G - I think you meant to advise me to replace my timer with a new timer that has more outlets. That would be practical. Something about my personality invites me to kluge things up though :)

I plug my digital timer/power bar into a surge protector it has a battery to save the settings. How mucb power are your lights using how much is being plugged into one outlet?

It all goes back to the amps of the circuit that things are plugged in to. What's the load, how many lights, etc...

but plugging splitter into splitter into splitter so you have 18 cords coming off of one outlet is NOT safe!

If each of those cords is drawing a significant load, the first device (aka....splitter) is carring all the load of all the cord plugged into it, and that is NOT a good thing!

Split up your loads, don't go all off of one outlet...

salsalady is right. It boils down to how many amps you are trying to get through one circuit. The circuit will have a breaker or fuse to save your ass, unless something is not to code.

I plug my lights into a strip that goes into my timer. It is plugged into a strip that has my small heat lamp in it since that is 24/7.

Not to get too technical here, but if you don't exceed 80% of your breakers load (1440w for 15a and 1920w for 20a) which includes other devices on the same line, then you will have no problems. Most common power strips can handle 1875w. Unless you have a grow setup similar to mine then you're probably not drawing that kind of current. Simple solution for adding multiple outlets would be, having 2 separate power strips. One plugged into each wall outlet. Plug your timer(s) into the strip...not the wall.

It all goes back to the amps of the circuit that things are plugged in to. What's the load, how many lights, etc...

but plugging splitter into splitter into splitter so you have 18 cords coming off of one outlet is NOT safe!

If each of those cords is drawing a significant load, the first device (aka....splitter) is carring all the load of all the cord plugged into it, and that is NOT a good thing!

Split up your loads, don't go all off of one outlet...

Thanks,

I'm not drawing too much and am not planning on adding too much. My 4 Bulb T-5 is:

Voltage of 120, 60-hertz, maximum wattage is 216. My other Bulb in the same timer is a single bulb 54 watt T-5.

I'm only planning on adding 2 or 3 more screw in light bulbs - something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-ESL40TN-Fluorescent-High-Wattage/dp/B001AZOV9K/

I wwasn't worried about circuit overload, just the mechanics of putting a strip in a timer, that is in a strip - it looks like Justaguy is already doing this.

Back