• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Plum & Scotch Ghost

Heya!
Got a bit bored today...
I kind of winged this one, hence the scrambled ingredients.
I only made a very small amount, so this is based on 75ml.

• 4 dried jolokia (which I had previously
set aside in red/white vinegar)
• 1 blood plum
• 2 cherry kumato tomatoes
• 3 or so cloves o garlic (roasted)
• maple syrup (1 tsp or so)
• molasses (1/2 tsp or so)
• Sugar
• Salt
• whiskey (1-2/10) and some added just before jarring - "I would have used rum, but I was just going with what I had"
• homemade spice mix (kind of Cajun-y)
• sweet paprika ( 3/4 tsp)

It's quite sweet for a second, and then the jolokia kicks in. Any suggestions!? I like it but a bit of smokiness wouldn't go astray.
I gave the missus a dab (I didn't think it was that bad) and now she hates me :D

Ps- pic otw

• edit: type-o-rama

2e366at.jpg

I like the color. What have you used it on? It sounds very sweet, but I guess it depends on how much sugar you used. Not very acidic (a lot of threads right now about pH), but with such a small batch I imagine it won't last long anyway.

Yeah I do have a pH meter but I didn't really take that into consideration. It is rather sweet however i used quite little sugar (palm sugar). I wanted to capture that sour plum skin flavour (which I failed in doing). Maybe some lemon?

Yeah I do have a pH meter but I didn't really take that into consideration. It is rather sweet however i used quite little sugar (palm sugar). I wanted to capture that sour plum skin flavour (which I failed in doing). Maybe some lemon?

That sour taste is such a specific flavor to. That would have been awesome to pick up in the finished sauce. Maybe more skins and less fruit next time.

Back