• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pod in a Pod

On November 22 I picked an Orange Hab from the garden and left it on the counter because of its unusual shape. Today decided it was time to cut it open and save some seeds. When split open a small pod looking piece fell out. Long story short when looking on the other hemisphere i saw the same thing. It looks like two small pods developing in the Hab. I am hoping someone can enlighten me on what i am looking at. Thanks

IMG_2246.jpg

Original Photo taken on Nov 22
IMG_2243.jpg

November 22

Following photos taken today
IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

I don't know exactly what causes it, but I can say that I believe it is fairly common with orange habs. My neighbor gave me a bag of them and a few of them had the same shape and inner pod. I've never had it in a store bought hab, but it was like 3 of ten from the ones he gave me.

Its an alien! Run for cover! It will destroy you! LOL Actually I have seen this in some of my Trinidad Scorpions and Trinidad Douglahs as well. What it is, I dont know or what causes it. Normally I just chuck that part in the garbage.

That is quite an interesting Orange Habanero though, possibly crossed with something? Almost has a tail to it.

Happened about every second pod on my Dorset Naga one year. I dried them out and used them as flavour bombs in soup.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. It was such a surprise to open a pepper and find two more growing on the inside.

The information I have been able gather over the last six months from being on the board has been priceless. Thanks

Back