• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Pod pics.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Thought I'd share a few pics of some of the pods in my garden.

Rocoto. These have taken over my garden. So much in fact, that I had to give them a prune a few weeks ago to allow my other plants to get some sun. Strangely enough, this year they are showing some chocolate pods for the first time. Previously they have only been red.
20150310_150250.jpg

Tobasco. The seeds I kept from last years Tobasco also yielded a few crosses. 
20150310_151909.jpg

Tobasco cross. Prolific little plant that I've posted pics of before. Pod shapes sometimes resemble a miniature Bell Pepper exactly.
20150310_152001.jpg

Another Tobasco cross. 
20150310_153244.jpg

Habanero.
20150310_154159.jpg

Yellow Hungarian wax.
20150310_150713.jpg

Long Cayenne cross.
20150310_150733.jpg

Sweet pepper. Collected seeds for these from store bought peppers and had excellent germ rates. Have had some blossom end rot issues though.
20150310_150607.jpg

Jalapeño Mexicana. 
20150310_155508.jpg

Thai.
20150310_155709.jpg

SR.

Bah ... Don't you hate it when you decide to freshen up  a plant and you lop of a branch with great pods on it by mistake..... Check out this pair of Reaper Hybrids I have been growing... I call them the " Heartbreakers " lol...

KrakenPeppers said:
Bah ... Don't you hate it when you decide to freshen up  a plant and you lop of a branch with great pods on it by mistake..... Check out this pair of Reaper Hybrids I have been growing... I call them the " Heartbreakers " lol...

If you need someone to help grow out those I'd be happy to help! They look great.

Runescape said:
Neat lookin pods...

What does the Tobasco cross taste like? 

I'm no expert in doing a review, but I'll give it a go.

Tobasco cross (3rd pic): Pod has a short stumpy appearance with an almost square cross section. It is slightly thinner walled than the original Tobasco and not as juicy. On first bite there is a slight grassy taste followed by a slight sweet fruity taste.  Heat is instant, but mild much the same as the original Tobasco. After taste is good and burn is mostly on the tongue. A good little Chilli to eat fresh.

SR.

Shorerider,

Thank you for the hope. It seems like it has been cold and dreary here in DC, USA forever. Beautiful pods!

All look really nice.  Wonder what would make the rocoto go chocolate this time around?  I don't know much about pepper genetics at all so I'm pretty interested to know.

Alynne said:
Shorerider,

Thank you for the hope. It seems like it has been cold and dreary here in DC, USA forever. Beautiful pods!
You're welcome, but while you are all busy with the start of your season up in the Northern hemisphere, our season is winding down. Although I have some nice pods, I'm quietly gealous of you guys and your new starts.

UncleGiggles said:
All look really nice.  Wonder what would make the rocoto go chocolate this time around?  I don't know much about pepper genetics at all so I'm pretty interested to know.
Not sure why either, it's only a few pods. It may have something to do with temperature or sunlight and a slower transition from green to red. But then again, I didn't notice any on the same plants last season. 

SR.

Back