Pod problem

Some of my marconi peppers on one plant have developed some kind of pod rot. I've done a little research and the best I can come up with is blossom rot.

I have 2 plants next to each other and its only effecting one plant, and only some of the pods.

What do you guy's think??

GnomeGrown said:
SunScald possibly.

It starts as a black mark and grows into this creamy coloured soft patch. The seeds & membrane of the more far gone pods are black and shrivelled. The plants sit in partial shade.. would sunscald do this? 

Yep got the same problem with my Anaheims. Got two other varieties in the same pot, same soil growing side by side and have had no signs of rot from their pods. So how can this be a calcium deficiency if these plants are in the same soil? I did get some Foli-Cal and treated the soil just in case, but  I have not seen much of a difference. I just resolved myself to cutting the infected area out and continuing to use them for whatever.  Had some in my eggs this morning and they tasted fine. 

Got two other varieties in the same pot, same soil growing side by side and have had no signs of rot from their pods. So how can this be a calcium deficiency if these plants are in the same soil?

Different plants have different needs.... genus to genus, species to species, plant to plant....  and calcium defficiency in the plant does not necessarily indicate that the soil itself does not contain sufficient calcium.... the calcium could be inaccessible to the plants due to other factors as discussed in the link I posted.

19th vote for BER.  I have a few anaheim types doing the same thing, and I also have the same kind of anaheims inches away that are fine.  I've never seen it happen to my chinenses or frutescens but a year rarely goes by where one or two annuums aren't affected.

Had the same problem with my numex barkers hot last year, I removed it from the pot washed off as much soil as I could from the rootball planted it in the ground and that sucker tookoff and grew big and was just shittin peppers with no rot

Thanks again guys for your help :) :) . So it is a suspected blossom end rot :(

I read yesterday that the plants tend to sort the problem out themselves eventually so long as nutrients are healthily balanced.

Its annoying that I have lost some decent sized pods but for now im not too concerned as I have plenty more good ones. My biggest concern is the damage to my Naga's but that's for another thread.

Back