• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pod size

Do pods continue growing until ripe or do they grow to a certain size then stop and leave you waiting forever to ripen? Kind of an impatience question and pretty soon, still have a month or two, night temps are gonna drop below 60.... I know it depends on the variety, but how long does it generally take for a pod to reach full size?

it takes a while. weeks for a pepper to reach full size, and then to ripen, they seem to take forever. but then, next thing you know, you are picking pods every day. just be patient. happy growing

My first pepper formed at the beginning of August.

I still haven't had a single one ripen yet, and had to bring them all inside while they (hopefully) finish up.

My pumpkin hab already dropped one of its two tiny peppers....

I watched a time lapse of some banana peppers over a few days. Crazy how fast they grew. I've noticed plants can grow that much in a day, I'm always out on my balcony and there have been times where the plant has noticeably grown in an hour. My supposed white Habs so far have been growing to about half to three quarters of an inch and then getting wider, in about a week.... Is that normal? Does it make a difference that these two plants have grown alot faster in general than I thought they would?

The pods usually grow to a certain size then stop and sit for at least a couple weeks before ripening, but longer for chinense including white habs.

Length till full size varies greatly. Depends on sun, nutrients, temperature, # of peppers trying to grow simultaneously vs plant size and ratio of leaves to stems to attain that size.

Fortunately with white habs, they are reasonably edible even if picked at a creamy yellow-white color instead of the almost if not completely pure white that they'll eventually turn to, but don't pick them the moment they turn yellowish or they won't be as hot and will be too crunchy/firm to enjoy raw.

Those I've grown did not get longer then fill out, assuming you mean the pods not the plant itself. Well, maybe a little bit but not a lot.

The pods usually grow to a certain size then stop and sit for at least a couple weeks before ripening, but longer for chinense including white habs.

Length till full size varies greatly. Depends on sun, nutrients, temperature, # of peppers trying to grow simultaneously vs plant size and ratio of leaves to stems to attain that size.

Fortunately with white habs, they are reasonably edible even if picked at a creamy yellow-white color instead of the almost if not completely pure white that they'll eventually turn to, but don't pick them the moment they turn yellowish or they won't be as hot and will be too crunchy/firm to enjoy raw.

Those I've grown did not get longer then fill out, assuming you mean the pods not the plant itself. Well, maybe a little bit but not a lot.

Yeah, I'm meaning the pods.... The plant that has them growing in length then filling out, they are a light green color, the other plant, they just seem to growing longer, are a darker green and seem to have ridges forming on them.

Back