• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage Pod smoking and freezing?

Have always frozen my fresh pods sliced in half. Just wondering if anyone has ever smoked their fresh pods first, then froze them? An if so, did it work well? As I'm considering doing this, this year. Just to eaze the process. As smoking 1-2 frozen pods for each cooking use is getting tedious.

I got some Butch-T powder from Justaguy on here - he smokes peppers with cherry wood and then grinds them into a powder. Got me a packet of it and I sprinkle on my food. It's awesome and doesn't need refrigeration. I'd write him a PM because he really knows what he's doing.

The only thing about smoking and freezing is very similar to freezing fresh, once out of the freezer they become mushy. I prefer to smoke, dry and grind into powder. Smoked a batch of Jalapenos over apple wood last night and finishing the pork butt and they are drying right now.

Yes, you can definitely pre-smoke the pods.

After they're smoked, lay them out on a cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap or wax paper to keep the pods from sticking. Freeze the pods, then put them in ziploc bags. This keeps the pods separate and you can take out what you need.

Another option is to smoke the pods, then process them in the food processor to make a paste. Put the paste in a ziploc bag and freeze the bag flat. This also allows you to break off small bits of the paste as needed.

Lmao Balac. An thanks Salsa Lady. Was thinking it would have to be a process like that. As the smoke would pull out some of the oils and cause them all to stick together in the freezer bag. This will make it much easier than smoking for each meal.

i smoke jalapenos whole, dehydrate,and freeze in freezer bags. Then I make chipotles in adobo on an as needed basis.

I dont know if I should start a new thread or if this is the appropriate thread so dont kill me. I plan on making powders with my pods and I have a Weber grill
weber-one-touch-gold-kettle-large.jpg
I would like to know if I can use this as a smoker. It doesn't have a temp gauge but I have one and I don't know how to set up the wood chips. Do I just use chips? Charcoal and chips? Do I place the chips directly on the charcoal or do I use water? How do you use water?? etc. etc. Those are my basic questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Pia

Yes I too use a weber grill. An you can put soaked chips in a foil pouch poked with holes directly on the coals. coals off to the side for in_direct heat. I for one use a cheap soldering iron in a pan of chips in mine. A quick youtube search of homemade cold smoker with give you plenty of ideas. I just choose to use that methods as to wasting charcoal and wood chips at the same time. Good luck

mitchNC said:
I'm only getting a couple red jalapenos at a time.
Can I freeze them as I get them then thaw and smoke and dehydrate them all at once?

I would say Yes, but i have not done this. Keep in mind that when the pods defrost, they will drop a lot of water/ juice. Keep the pods in a tray, maybe during the smoking process the liquid will reduce and can be mixed back with the smoked pods. Don't want to waste anything. ;)

Side note- wash and trim the pods prior to freezing. You cant wash a soggy pod. :lol:

Hopefully someone else will chime in. Nice ghost thread resurrection. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
SL

Well, I harvested enough jals, reapers and paprika peppers today to warrant a smoke session without freezing.
I have a whole lots of ripe 7  Pot pods (which I've never grown before) so I may add those.

This reminds me of that fellow who put his peppers in his bong. Guy should have just joined the service. Pepper gas and CS gas, we got that all day long. But for those that enjoy smoking their peppers, who am I to judge?

Back