• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pods drying, before ripening

I have a Kung Pao that has almost a 50/50 chance of them drying in the green stage, before ripening. I just pulled a fully dried pepper with only a line or two of red on it. Has anyone else experienced this? This is a first for me. Any ideas why?

Sounds like something's killing the pepper before it has a chance to ripen. I had that happen with my fataliis. Next one you see, open it up and look for evidence of bugs or worms inside.

Phil said:
Sounds like something's killing the pepper before it has a chance to ripen. I had that happen with my fataliis. Next one you see, open it up and look for evidence of bugs or worms inside.

Thanks for the reply Phil. I took your advice and just cut one open, and there is not a sign of any pests. Plant looks good as well, no sign of deficiencies or pests. I will check a few more just to make sure though. Seems some of them are getting soft just a bit while green as if they are ripe.

Does the fruit' stem blacken, brown, or discolor prior to -- or during the time that the pepper starts drying out? Do these stems show other irregularities?

It might be a plant disease that kills the vascular (sap vessel) tissues, like bacterial wilt, some fungal diseases or the "fire blight" of apples and pears.

I hope i'm wrong about that... a similar pathogen (Fusarium oxysporum) has scythed down my basil, but it's highly contagious. This sounds limited in it's outbreak.

Try cutting a fruit stem, and see if there are brown/black dots in the cross-section where vascular tissue should be. If yes, sterilize the knife, and cut the branch bearing the fruit's stem. Look for similar lesions.... some plant pathogens only attack fruit (ie.: ergot fungus [Claviceps purpurea] in wheat and rye, noble rot [Botrytis cinerea] in grapes), not the entire plant.
I hate suggesting you hack through a fruiting branch of one of your pepper plants, but it will tell you a bit more about the problem. I am not yet familiar with pepper diseases, and i admit that cutting up your plants is possibly a bit more destructive than warranted.

mikeg said:
Does the fruit' stem blacken, brown, or discolor prior to -- or during the time that the pepper starts drying out? Do these stems show other irregularities?

It might be a plant disease that kills the vascular (sap vessel) tissues, like bacterial wilt, some fungal diseases or the "fire blight" of apples and pears.

I hope i'm wrong about that... a similar pathogen (Fusarium oxysporum) has scythed down my basil, but it's highly contagious. This sounds limited in it's outbreak.

Try cutting a fruit stem, and see if there are brown/black dots in the cross-section where vascular tissue should be. If yes, sterilize the knife, and cut the branch bearing the fruit's stem. Look for similar lesions.... some plant pathogens only attack fruit (ie.: ergot fungus [Claviceps purpurea] in wheat and rye, noble rot [Botrytis cinerea] in grapes), not the entire plant.
I hate suggesting you hack through a fruiting branch of one of your pepper plants, but it will tell you a bit more about the problem. I am not yet familiar with pepper diseases, and i admit that cutting up your plants is possibly a bit more destructive than warranted.
Mikeg, that is the crazy thing about it, although I have not cut into a branch to check, the pepper stem itself stays nice and green without any hint of anything wrong. Last one I cut today looks fine, without any discoloration, spots or anything odd. It has me a bit baffled. I thought maybe I have a weird or inferior pheno or something. I might not care if the dried ones did not taste like the immature green ones, which are bitter.
This is the same plant that almost died from a fungal infection, but that has been eradicated, without any signs of it now.

I have the same problem with my thai sun. I belive that my problems started after a aphid/whitefly infestation and a bayer pyrsol (think its the swedish name for it) treatment. But i don't know if its the bugs, pyrsol or something else that is causing it :(

/newril

newril said:
I have the same problem with my thai sun. I belive that my problems started after a aphid/whitefly infestation and a bayer pyrsol (think its the swedish name for it) treatment. But i don't know if its the bugs, pyrsol or something else that is causing it :(

/newril
Hmm, I also just killed a whitefly infestation, which caused the fungus attack.  I just pulled another pepper that is looking a bit better. This pepper had started turning before it started drying. I hope both plants recover. Maybe they both just need some time. Good luck with yours.

Mine are getting a bit better. Instead of drying while completely green, they are almost starting to go red before drying. These taste a lot better than the bitter green ones. The one on the left has completely turned red, even as its been drying. It should be noted that they don't completely dry out.
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150313-00320.jpg

AaronTT said:
Mine are getting a bit better. Instead of drying while completely green, they are almost starting to go red before drying. These taste a lot better than the bitter green ones. The one on the left has completely turned red, even as its been drying. It should be noted that they don't completely dry out.
attachicon.gif
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150313-00320.jpg

mine look just like your pods. Have you managed to solve the problem yet?

newril said:

mine look just like your pods. Have you managed to solve the problem yet?
I didn't see it at the time, but the plant had spider mites. It wasn't until I noticed the webbings, that it became quite apparent. I should had examined it more closely.  I decided not to treat it, and instead just killed it, as this pheno I grew did not have the flavor of other Kung Paos I have had in the past. Perhaps yours has a similar problem. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Back