PollenNut in the house

Here to see what there is to see. I'm a PollenNut. I've been hooked on pollen for a long time and I'm okay with that. Those that know me, know they can frequently find me nose deep inside a flower if there is one to be found. 

When I'm not hitting a stigma with some pollen I'm often dreaming about that pollen I have stored in the freezer waiting for a stigma.

If you think you are on my radar... you might be right if you are a pollen grain or the next generation of flowers I'm waiting to see bloom for the first time. 

But if you are not a plant or some gamete, I'm sure we can still be friends. I don't sell so don't even ask. 

I love chili peppers for the beauty in the flowers and the many diverse flavor profiles from one species to the next. Most of my current hybrids I have planted have variegated genes and purple hidden in them somewhere.

I look forward to looking through this forum and seeing what there is to see.

karoo said:
Hello and welcome to the nuthouse!
I love the pollenNuts, the flower Nuts, and the leaf nuts myself. I'm a big fan of bicolor and tricolor whether that is seen in the leaf, flower, or fruit. 

sicman said:

Thanks for the warm welcome, as you may have surmised... I love hybridizing like many here I am sure.
skullbiker said:
WELCOME TO THP
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've heard good things, about this place.

One question for the new pollen head? Where can I find posts on naming etiquette? I.e. what is the culture here where it concerns naming of seed you receive that you are gifted? I ask as for me, I've always seen it up to the growers discretion to mention the hybridizer if the grower was the first to grow out the seed. But I want to check out what the norms are in this forum with this group of growers.

Nulle said:
:welcome: from Denmark
Thanks for the warm welcome from Denmark. I've lived in Belgium for a few years so I'm loving the Denmark vibe, but this is more about what I'm about..... Not being sold a renamed pepper. Just give me the straight scoop and if it is not a simple rename... tell me what makes this one so special. What has been done to make it stand out. Is this a new color variation selected for and bred for and if so... who did it? I like things like that. In short.... I truly believe this is where I would like the community to be heading. I'm just one cog in a machine though so who knows what the future will hold.https://mailchi.mp/1f4519e8dfb1/wca-news-390245?fbclid=IwAR1rLUV42pnbk2KtTvoUgder8neqTcNqKYBcGlcjNpDRakJRl4EDrooHy0Y

PollenNut said:
I love the pollenNuts, the flower Nuts, and the leaf nuts myself. I'm a big fan of bicolor and tricolor whether that is seen in the leaf, flower, or frui.

One question for the new pollen head? Where can I find posts on naming etiquette? I.e. what is the culture here where it concerns naming of seed you receive that you are gifted? I ask as for me, I've always seen it up to the growers discretion to mention the hybridizer if the grower was the first to grow out the seed. But I want to check out what the norms are in this forum with this group of growers.

Welcome to THP!

We had a couple of recent threads on this:

Pepper Naming
Seed Etiquette (JHC)

And some older:

Different pepper names?? Different variant?? Same pepper??
Naming convention: Vanilla
Pepper X (not the) Naming Convention
How to note a cross: More naming convention
When to use initials and who decides - More Naming Convention
Created My First Super Hot Strain, Help Me Name It :)
Pepper Naming

Now I didn't say this would answer your question but I hope reviewing above will give you some idea of the forums thoughts on this issue.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Welcome to THP!

We had a couple of recent threads on this:

Pepper Naming
Seed Etiquette (JHC)

And some older:

Different pepper names?? Different variant?? Same pepper??
Naming convention: Vanilla
Pepper X (not the) Naming Convention
How to note a cross: More naming convention
When to use initials and who decides - More Naming Convention
Created My First Super Hot Strain, Help Me Name It :)
Pepper Naming

Now I didn't say this would answer your question but I hope reviewing above will give you some idea of the forums thoughts on this issue.
Great post, Paul.

PollenNut said:
Thanks for the warm welcome and I should have checked back on my own post, but for those that don't know me or my interests... this is what I'm about.

I've been "skimming" your other posts and wanted to touch base on a point I had but didn't want to muddy the waters there about naming or hybridizing.So I'm hoping posting it here will keep it separate....

OK, while I commend you for your efforts to have breeders/retailers/hobbyists/forum readers/et al at least try to clean up their acts when it comes to crossing there's also the Hype-Train people like Chinese Space Chillies 

Hangjiao 1 - Corona
Hangjiao 2 - Meteor
Hangjiao 3 - Solar Flare
Hangjiao 4 - Comet's Tail
Hangjiao 5 Helix Nebula
Hangjiao 6 - Pulsar 
Hangjiao 7 - Super Nova 
Hangjiao 8 - Total Eclipse
Hangjiao 9 - Big Bang
Hangjiao 10 - After Glow

So obviously these 10 space peppers had a name other than "Milky Way" (I made that one up!) before they left earth and now we have a conspiracy between the Chinese government and the hype wizards promoting SPACE CHILIES!

Rf0VDlR.jpg

producing monster specimens including 21lb tomatoes, 15-stone pumpkins, enormous watermelons and nine-inch long chillies...... They really do make you think of mutant chillies from outer space........ They are TWISTED / SUPER FAST GROWING / PROLIFIC AS ALL HELL / GIGANTIC and TASTE BLOODY GREAT.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is you're shoveling shit into the tide ..I mean Ed Currie hasen't even released Pepper X but it has a ½ billion hits!>Pepper X...I don't want t want you to stop as I'm not maligning your efforts.....just how frustrating your efforts may be...

I've been "skimming" your other posts and wanted to touch base on a point I had but didn't want to muddy the waters there about naming or hybridizing.So I'm hoping posting it here will keep it separate....

OK, while I commend you for your efforts to have breeders/retailers/hobbyists/forum readers/et al at least try to clean up their acts when it comes to crossing there's also the Hype-Train people like Chinese Space Chillies 

Hangjiao 1 - Corona
Hangjiao 2 - Meteor
Hangjiao 3 - Solar Flare
Hangjiao 4 - Comet's Tail
Hangjiao 5 Helix Nebula
Hangjiao 6 - Pulsar 
Hangjiao 7 - Super Nova 
Hangjiao 8 - Total Eclipse
Hangjiao 9 - Big Bang
Hangjiao 10 - After Glow

So obviously these 10 space peppers had a name other than "Milky Way" (I made that one up!) before they left earth and now we have a conspiracy between the Chinese government and the hype wizards promoting SPACE CHILIES!

Rf0VDlR.jpg

producing monster specimens including 21lb tomatoes, 15-stone pumpkins, enormous watermelons and nine-inch long chillies...... They really do make you think of mutant chillies from outer space........ They are TWISTED / SUPER FAST GROWING / PROLIFIC AS ALL HELL / GIGANTIC and TASTE BLOODY GREAT.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is you're shoveling shit into the tide ..I mean Ed Currie hasen't even released Pepper X but it has a ½ billion hits!>Pepper X...I don't want t want you to stop as I'm not maligning your efforts.....just how frustrating your efforts may be...

I love how ruthless you are with the truth my friend. And if I took it personally I would certainly be frustrated indeed.

I'll do my thing and have fun doing it and If I can share some magic along the way then it will have been worth it.

You don't need to change the system, just affect one person in a positive way and if that person does the same then that magic spreads.

Now, I can't deny there is some hype around those space chili and if genes are being deleted, mutated, or otherwise affected to give us new chili pepper genetics to play with then that would be nice to read more about as I would imagine there have to be studies somewhere? Right?

As for the parents of these plants... it would be interesting to know that information as well. But I seriously can't chase down everything  and every detail by myself.

What I can do is try to inspire people to take pride  in a cross they have hand pollinated.

Take some pictures of the conception of that cross.

Share what you are doing and where you think  you might take that cross. Goals are important with hybrids, in my mind at least, and if the cross shows you something hidden that you would be a fool not to chase, then chase it.

But I believe we share the joy of hybridizing with everyone and promote some good record keeping while we are at it.

This my friend, this is just some of the magic from my garden today that I have opened up.

https://youtu.be/kQjoX_GA09Q

I apologize if I offended as it was not my intention. As usual, the posted word does not covey the posters thoughts.. What I meant was with all the misinformation being posted on so many different outlets in today's online world you have a monumental task..... I now understand your one convert at a time concept and again commend you for your efforts.

Good-Luck-300x189.jpg

I apologize if I offended as it was not my intention. As usual, the posted word does not covey the posters thoughts.. What I meant was with all the misinformation being posted on so many different outlets in today's online world you have a monumental task..... I now understand your one convert at a time concept and again commend you for your efforts.

Good-Luck-300x189.jpg
No worries my friend, I have a thick skin and either way you slice it I liked your message before and I like it even more now.

This is my platinum standard... two full albums of pictures showing f1, f2, and F1BC1 creation...

But here in this video we simply celebrate the F1BC1. What is important about planting so many seeds from an F1BC1? If I did everything wrong, I could get a variegated interspecific C. baccatum this generation from those seeds. I'm hoping I don't see variegation and I can work on that later.

But the real trick, is getting more of our members to top what I have done and I know that is an easy task.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IER0PYBaVhU

I just love sharing the magic. I'm growing out 36 of one F1BC1 fruit, but I've made multiple fruits of that same cross. So, when I share with others, it is not so they will do the work for me. I've got a lot of those I love planted.... trust in that.

I share this magic because it is the journey that is exciting. Now, if someone sends me seeds back great. They have certainly helped, but I've hopefully stirred some interest in what is possible at the same time. Not many will give you f1 seed, never mind f1bc1 seed. It is untested and unproven the way an f2 seed is. So, you really make yourself vulnerable giving out seed like that. But, you also allow that person the unique ability to make their own f2 seed and that grow... that is one of the largest grows and is something special as those recessives resurface.

Back