• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pollinated?

First time grower of chilies, or anything really. Two days ago my first flower opened up. Given that my plants are inside I attempted to pollinate it myself, but I have no idea if I did it right. Is there any way of knowing straight away if it worked? Does anyone have a picture of what an unpollinated flower woul look like? If it's unpollinated, is it just the flower that falls off, or that stem looking thing that would bear the fruit fall off too? Patience is not my strong suit right now, I'm just so excited to be getting my first fruit, and I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I would not know for another week. There's also the possibility that my dad will kill the plant, he likes to drown his. 

Anyway, I snapped a lousy phone picture of what it looks like right now, the flower petals accidentally came off when I tried to take a closer look. 

WzMGcJT.jpg

It looks like the fruit has already successfully formed.

Sometimes the petals fall off, other times they die and stay stuck to the pod for a while as it grows.

If pollination fails, it's likely that the whole stem for the flower will fall off rather quickly after failing.

Back